• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Wiper Same Speed

howardc

I'm having issues with the wipers on my CUCV. I put a new (re-manufactured) motor on it, and now lo and hi are the same speed, BUT I can hear the motor work harder on the hi setting.

Note, before the motor swap, I had the lo setting, but when i selected hi, the wipers would stop in its tracks. Also, the wipers return to the down position when i turn them off now; they didnt before.

So, bad switch or bad linkage?

CPAPPY

Sound like wiper housing where the wiper arm mounts , just removed mine last Sunday found the right side was very tight so I soaked it in some oil and worked it back and forth some and it loosened up, reinstalled all works well. I only had one speed also very slow also.

howardc

Thanks for the input. I'll try taking them out and oiling. I sprayed the arm that connects to the motor and noticed a slight speed improvement.

Barrman

I have a M1009 that only works on high speed now. Won't even move in low. The other M1009 works sometimes on both speeds and other times won't even come on or just stops somewhere in the sweep. I haven't tested anything on them yet, but am thinking switch as much as motor. Just another part of owning a 30 year old vehicle.

howardc

If its a random stop I would guess its the switch. I have to jiggle the turn lever sometimes to get it to start again. Something I'm willing to live with for a while since its a pain to replace

Barrman

The switch is my guess to. Just a guess for now. I have another switch that I plan to just plug in from underneath and see what happens.

RSOPerator

The linkage on mine was pretty gummed up with sand and dirt at the time I swapped out my failing wiper motor for a new one. I used Lithium grease on all the joints in the linkage and the wipers work like new now with the new motor. I suspect this is the issue you're seeing.

Last edited:

howardc

I removed the cowl panel and took the wiper arms off. what a PITA! I'm going to take the time and make sure to lube the linkage really well before putting it all back together. This is a project I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

BTW, I found this handy step by step posted by another member while digging through the forum. post #9 has the link. Shout out to 48cj2a for very detailed instructions.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116120-Wndshield-Washer-Performance&highlight=wiper+ar

edpdx

I removed the cowl panel and took the wiper arms off. what a PITA! I'm going to take the time and make sure to lube the linkage really well before putting it all back together. This is a project I don't want to repeat anytime soon.

BTW, I found this handy step by step posted by another member while digging through the forum. post #9 has the link. Shout out to 48cj2a for very detailed instructions.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116120-Wndshield-Washer-Performance&highlight=wiper+ar
howardc, thanks for the post and link. Bookmark or print and fold into the manual:beer:.

I just wanted to add a little tip I learned a few years ago when I was replacing an engine and the hood had to come off.

Get 1/2 dozen cheap 1/8" bits at the hardware store. Drill TWO holes a few inches apart- more here is better, through the hood bracket and into the hood near the attaching bolts. This will go faster if: Drill a hole and then remove that bit and put it aside. Install a new bit for each hole drilled (2 on each hinge [2 are spares]). By drilling with a new bit each time the last hole will drill as smoothly and quickly as the first. Now you'll have alignment holes in the hinge and handy alignment pins- the bits. Unscrew the hinge bolts on the upper end only, catching the hood. When the job is all done, you won't waste an hour trying to get the hood re-aligned. A man on each side slips the drill bit in place when they achieve alignment. Then holding the bits squarely perpendicular to the hinges, tighten up the original bolts, the hood will be aligned as before. 8)

howardc

While I had it apart, I thoroughly soaked everything in lithium grease. I took the rebuilt wiper motor back out and moved the linkage by hand. It was as smooth as smooth could be. I then put everything back together, and slow was slow, and fast was...not as slow as slow. I have yet to use them during driving, so I hope they perform better than before. We shall see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks