• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

With freezing rain forecast for central NC, time for a generator test

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tonight in central NC we have the potential for a bit of freezing rain. That can be a really bad time here if we get trees down on power lines this far out into the woods. Figured it was time to give the MEP803 a bit of a workout. Warmed it up and increased the load till we got it a bit over 100% then kept it between 80% and 90% for a while. It smoked a bit while it burned off the junk in the exhaust. I've been using it on some new property because it will start the air compressor while the 831 can't. It was a little bit wetstacked from it.

BUT.. After giving it a good workout for an hour or so its cleared up nicely and looks to be mission ready for whatever happens here tonight.

Got to give a big thumbs up to Kurt and his controller. Makes keeping and eye on the thing inside the house a SNAP!

2020-12-15 12.07.49-1 (Medium).jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to give a bit more info about my generator test. I've been using the generator lightly loaded on a new piece of property I bought earlier in the year. I've not been able to put much more than a 10% load on it for the last 30 hours of run time. Yesterday I brought it home and gave it a good load test. In the relatively short time it ran lightly loaded I did have some gunk build up in the exhaust. Once I had warmed it up and started loading it there was a good bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust for about an hour of hard running. Typical of wetstacking.

It wasn't bad enough to be a problem with performance, the unit was able to hold a full load plus a bit without staling. Also want to be clear that this isn't a complaint.

I know there are lots of thoughts and opinions about wetstacking. I can report from personal experience that on this particular 803 it doesn't take many hours of running with no real load for there to be a noticeable effect. The 30 or so hours on this one was enough.

If I had setup a load bank and was able to run it harder for longer it would have taken less time to clear up. I was running the house off grid while using the oven and dryer which varied the load between 40% and 80% most of the time but kicked it over 100% when the heatpump cycled on.

My advice - run them as hard as you can. If you can't run them hard under normal use (under 50% load) be sure to set aside a couple hours of hard running on a load bank at +80% load every 30-50 hours of run time.

Zed254

I observed evidence of wet stacking my 802 in 65 hours of run time at around 20% load with my camper. I'm delivering 52 amps -- 120 volts single phase -- to a small camper. After 65 hours I noticed a wet fuel stain on the top of the unit next to exhaust stack. My solution....and it works well.....was to add 2 electric space heaters of 12.5 amps/each that heat up the night. This loaded the diesel engine up to 60-70%.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm OK with snow but the ice we get here sucks. Thankfully the storm spared us this time and it came down as all rain. Still a chance for something tonight but lower probabilities.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks