• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO tips to far

paulfarber

I drove my deuce to Ft Drum to get a trailer I won. I figured I'd put my WMO to use and 'drive for free'. Well... almost. The first tank up was 100% WMO, but the stuff in the 55gallon drum I had in the bed was clogging up the screen in the filler on the diesel tank.. so I didn't use it. There was no grit, I just think the hydraulic oil was to viscous to get through the screen as it all went through 50,5 and 1 micron filters.

So.. here are my tips:

1. Install a ball valve or check valve on the end of every fill/suction hose. Its just to messy to deal with drips and dribbles running out of the hose.

2. Using see through tubing can help gauge flow... I plan on using more clear vinyl than solid black hose.

3. The Melling M-55 oil pump mod is a great tool to have. I plan to make another one and run them both to get 10-15GPM for loading/unloading oil.

4. Garden hoses are cheap and work well for the output of the Melling oil pump. Not so much for the suction side.

5. I use 275 gallon IBC totes for storage/filtering. They have a 6 inch screw on cap that holds 7 inch diameter poly filter socks PERFECTLY. If you get the socks, get the LONGER length socks... the surface area can handle the full output of the Melling oil pump NO PROBLEM. No need to throttle or pause the pumping for the level to go down. On the top tote I have the 50micron filter, then a gravity feed from the top to the bottom tote's openeing and the 5 and 1 micron filter.. the flow is throttled via a ball valve.

6. The suction of the filtered oil is via a PVC pipe to the Melling oil pump. I capped the pipe and cut a notch 2 inches from the bottom to avoid settled garbage.

Pics on the way.. .I am still recovering from 14 hours in the driver sear of an M35 with a slipping clutch.

ARYankee

I pretty much agree with you on your points since I have done the same with my setup.
I have ball valves on my suction pvc pipe that I stick down in the container, along with a ball valve on the outlet side of my pump for the bypass run or filter run. I also bought at home depot a clear hose so I can tell what the color of what I am sucking is. I have pictures over here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/alternative-fuels/71344-my-wmo-setup.html

I will try to add some of the setup put together.

stumps

... I just think the hydraulic oil was to viscous to get through the screen as it all went through 50,5 and 1 micron filters...
The usual way to deal with fuel oil that is too viscous is to change its viscosity. Add 10 to 20% diesel, and you will see a world of a difference.

-Chuck

scoutmanadam

when i filter through socks, i like to throw in a couple rare earth magnets, its kind of amazing how much metal "dust" they attract and it helps keep the shaving out of the sock. i know socks are cheap, but it extends there life a bit, making your fuel that much cheaper in the long run

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks