• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a LMTV today, possible electrical issues.

DanM7890

I won a M1081 today. I was curious as it looks like someone was chasing a electrical problem.. It states as it doesn't run and the cab won't raise. Also has two missing batteries and the light switch is missing. In the pictures it appears they were doing something in the passenger compartment. Curious if anyone would know what is located on that side they were playing with.

589925_6002_160_0001.jpg589925_6062_0_0002.jpg589925_6062_0_0003.jpg589925_6062_0_0005.jpg589925_6002_0_0003.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the truck was "robbed" of several of it's electrical components. Behind the right side dash are the ECUs for the engine, transmission, relay banks. Hopefully the units robbed were unplugged and not cut out.
It will take a little time to round up what is missing and get it started. Depends on what is missing. Light switch and batteries will be the easy stuff.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It looks like they took some radio gear out. There is no engine ecu it's all mechanical. Trans ecu would be behind the keypad. Vim module which is basically neutral start and safety relays is the black box hanging down. Nothing's missing that can't be sourced. It looks like a decent truck.

scottmandu

It looks like they took some radio gear out. There is no engine ecu it's all mechanical. Trans ecu would be behind the keypad. Vim module which is basically neutral start and safety relays is the black box hanging down. Nothing's missing that can't be sourced. It looks like a decent truck.
Trans ecu location differs from WTEC II and WTEC III. WTEC III the ECU is located under the relay panel.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Wtec2 has a vim module, which is hanging down in his pic, and the trans ecu behind the keypad. You are correct wtec3 has the trans ecu where the vim module would sit under the relays.

Lmtv772

Banned
The way this looks is that it had the Lightswitch shorten out and fry the wiring. They chased the wiring look back to the fusebox trying to sort out what shortened. This looks like one of the truck I'd stay away from.
But good luck to you and nice find.
P.S.: get a lowboy transport, because you ain't driving that one home.

DanM7890

The way this looks is that it had the Lightswitch shorten out and fry the wiring. They chased the wiring look back to the fusebox trying to sort out what shortened. This looks like one of the truck I'd stay away from.
But good luck to you and nice find.
P.S.: get a lowboy transport, because you ain't driving that one home.
Coffey1 and I are going to be towing it back with the 5-ton. Thanks for the heads up on what it could have been.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Be brave look at the mess I won. Someone squeezed an A1 panel it with the wtec. You can see the silver trans ecu hanging down at a slight angle.
1.jpg587029_6062_0_0003.jpg587029_6062_0_0004.jpg

scottmandu

All the electrical problems I've seen on the trucks I bought were related to incorrect installation. Wrong relays in the wrong place, incorrect circuit breakers, 2 Alternator regulators wired up backwards.. loose connectors etc.. I'm beginning to think that "Electrical gremlins" these trucks are supposed to have is more related to incorrect maintenance than problems inherent in the design.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You are correct. Other than a few wires here and there that can rub thru over the years most issues are from improper or lack of maintenance. The trucks have made it this far there are still plenty in service. I havent heard piles of complaints about Stewart & Stevenson generators and oilfield trucks. They couldnt have been that bad of a manufacturer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yup in MD not too far from me. Bent steering rod and funky dash spaghetti. But I have several parts trucks and plenty of stuff to fix this truck. Its a 1994. 20 years old qualifies for antique reg in CT with a 500 dollars taxed value and no restrictions on use. It can be your daily driver dmv dosnt care.

DanM7890

Curious what others have paid for theirs, and I understand if you don't want to post it. Maybe a PM is more appropriate. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Not a bad price. The engine alone is worth more than that. Its the little stuff that gets expensive since everyone needs it and its all hard to find.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious what others have paid for theirs, and I understand if you don't want to post it. Maybe a PM is more appropriate. I think I got a pretty good deal.

Yours is extra special because of the airdrop cab. I was looking at it but have too many trucks already. I paid $5k for mine with winch, non runner. It just needed a slave start.

DanM7890

Yours is extra special because of the airdrop cab. I was looking at it but have too many trucks already. I paid $5k for mine with winch, non runner. It just needed a slave start.
What all does that mean other than the fact it can be air dropped from a C-130 I'm assuming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks