• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood soldiers? WWII Barracks ID

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The upper Texas coast was scattered with barracks buildings from Camp Wallace in Hitchcock, TX, an antiaircraft training base. These buildings were moved all over the place and used as classrooms at schools. I think this might be one, what do ya'll think? The wood windows seem so high up. The building looks to be 30' x 80'.

Attachments

Piper Cub

Could be one. I'll have to find the pictures I have of my uncle's house in Minnesota. Their house burned down when he was a kid so his father went and made a deal to buy half of a WWII barrack. It's still out on the farm now and is in pretty good shape since it was being lived in until a couple years ago. It's been updated to make it more livable but it still looks like a barrack. None of the boards on it are over 4 ft long since they didn't want to waste good wood on barracks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of a single story building I found online. Window spacing is different, but the unusual height placement (for a civi structure) is the same.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I think Ft Dix (maybe Ft McCoy) museum has a display on how the WWII buildings were made/assembled. It's kinda like the Liberty and Victory Ships, quite a remarkable bit construction history.

First ones I stayed in were at Ft Story, VA in 1985. Last ones I stayed in were at Ft Indiantown Gap around 2009. I remember when FTIG was burning them down. Helped clean out the old FTIG hospital which was nothing but building after building like this.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you want to know more look up series 700 buildings which will cover 1937-1940, and series 800 buildings for 41-44. This one even has a lot of the drawings http://www.denix.osd.mil/cr/upload/LRM91-0018.PDF Way down around page 396 there are are over 150 pages of drawings of the various styles.
If you have a PU at Ft Riley a few blocks west of the DRMO there is still a Huge 800 field house which is now the recycling center.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the covid mess has opened up some rare free time. Today I visited the abandoned Camp Wallace antiaircraft training base in Hitchcock, TX. I was last at this off limits parts of the old base some 40 years ago when camping with the boy scouts. We found this “swimming pool” back then. Well subsequent research led me to believe that this was not a swimming pool at all, rather the foundation of the base theater. Sure enough, today I found rows of screws in the slab where seats were attached. So cool. Couldn’t find any dog tags like I did back then.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Looks like a classroom or chow hall we used to use. The barracks were normally 2 stories. The color pic are building still at Ft Indiantown Gap
Spent a lot of time in these two models. BCT in 1972, in the right side picture, Ft. Ord. Then WOC school in APG, 1985, in the left picture. Then in Ft Lewis, 1980, the right side picture. I bet I could sketch out a floor plan. They were fire traps. In the winter, at Ft. Ord we still had diesel fired heaters. Had to have a Fire Guard all night.

Guyfang

Staff member
Interesting plans. The bld type 700 heating system schematic is spot on. We had to clean it out in one of the two buildings I had as a Platoon Sgt. Had about an inch of dust in it. Then the Post Engineers came in and put a steel box around the heater thermostats. Cant allow the troops to regulate the heat, you know. So many of my troops complained about the cold, that I went in and stuck a needle in the contol cable at the thermostat. Did that about 10 times until I hit the right two wire. Presto! On came the heater. When the building was warm enough, you pulled out the needle.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Interesting plans. The bld type 700 heating system schematic is spot on. We had to clean it out in one of the two buildings I had as a Platoon Sgt. Had about an inch of dust in it. Then the Post Engineers came in and put a steel box around the heater thermostats. Cant allow the troops to regulate the heat, you know. So many of my troops complained about the cold, that I went in and stuck a needle in the contol cable at the thermostat. Did that about 10 times until I hit the right two wire. Presto! On came the heater. When the building was warm enough, you pulled out the needle.
I was in WWII barracks in basic training starting in Jan 72 - I thought I remembered the heat being coal fired and controlled by civilians? Heck...I don't know...

Then it was off to Camp AP Hill Virginia for advanced training....again WWII barracks.

Next time I LIVED in WWII barracks was 1983-1985 as a Drill Sergeant at Fort Benning, Georgia.

Guyfang

Staff member
I was in WWII barracks in basic training starting in Jan 72 - I thought I remembered the heat being coal fired and controlled by civilians? Heck...I don't know...

Then it was off to Camp AP Hill Virginia for advanced training....again WWII barracks.

Next time I LIVED in WWII barracks was 1983-1985 as a Drill Sergeant at Fort Benning, Georgia.
When I "adjusted" the heater control, was in 1980 in Ft. Lewis. The heaters had be upgraded to diesel. But the coal room was still there, and dirty, just like it was when in operation. So dirty, we only used it to store bikes. When I was in WOC, in 1985, it was so hot in APG, that we kept the windows open ALL the time. No heater needed. The Lady's in our class had the NCO rooms, and we of the unwashed masses had the open bays. If you did not wear good RAYBAN's, you could not look at our floor. Would have made a blind man blink.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You guys so young.........................
It was 1940's barracks Fort Dix, 1968.
We were all there because TET wasted so many.
Newark was still on fire................
It was the bayonet practice at the very end of the approach lights I remember more.
141 130 119 and real heavy stuff on final final right above US, right overhead, I mean a few feet, while We learned what it is they taught.
That place very busy 1968.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The WW2 barracks we have at the surplus store is pretty cool, It is bolted together in sections (maybe 5-6'). They came from FE Warren AFB in the late 40's.

Jericho

Looks like a classroom or chow hall we used to use. The barracks were normally 2 stories. The color pic are building still at Ft Indiantown Gap
those were called MOB Barracks in 1976 the USAF was still using them I went to Basic training in one

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We have the last pre-WW2 building still standing (for now) at Camp Zama. It's slated for demo. We also have the Emperors bunker . I snap pictures when I get my chance to go in there....probably nothing in there anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks