• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

World War 2 Lusterless White Paint Code ?

Numbers

Looking for the World War 2 Lusterless White Paint Code. Weasel in Arctic
Camouglage needs correct paint.

All I have is whats in TB 43-0139 27 JULY 1988 as MIL-P-52905 White 1 Gal Can

Is the current shade of lusterless white accurate for World War 2 vehicles ?

Wolf.Dose

Anything that is called polar white or acrtic white or or titanium white or simply white is correct. Avoid any white colour that might have and additional name which you not identify with clean titanium white.
Wolf

Nonotagain

Looking for the World War 2 Lusterless White Paint Code. Weasel in Arctic
Camouglage needs correct paint.

All I have is whats in TB 43-0139 27 JULY 1988 as MIL-P-52905 White 1 Gal Can

Is the current shade of lusterless white accurate for World War 2 vehicles ?

I have copies of Fed-Std-595 at work that date back to the early 60's.

I'll check color numbers for you on Monday and let you know the color number.

The number will start with a "3" meaning lusterless.

Sometime in the mid 80's they changed the color white color numbers.

The Mil-P-52905 is an enamel paint not the color number.

Numbers

Thanks for the replies. I seem to remember somewhere there does exist a paint code chart that outlines superceded military paints. Something like GSA or similar. However, knowing that the military outlines everything in a form of a manual/technical bulletin/etc... it seems to reason that one exists.

Wolf.Dose: Is there any reference to the change being an exact replacement of Lusterless White or is this from elsewhere ?

Nonotagain; Thanks for the check in the Fed-Std-595.

Nonotagain

Numbers:

Here is some information that I found in my files and somewhat remembered from my distant past.

The Army has a finishing specification document, MIS-20007 which covers all ground support equipment. This is/was also referred to as Missile specification.

The earliest version that I still had was a rev "F" dated 1988.

Rev "F" lists a white colored coating as being color # 27875 which is semi-gloss not lusterless. This is what my company used for stenciling data on Patriot missile canisters as well as the launcher assemblies.

Secondly, I found a letter from Rockwell International dated 1983, to the USAF that they needed a color number assigned for an un-tinted white which previously used the #17875. Rockwell always had to get a deviation for having paint produced as un-tinted since it did not match the FED-STD-595 color chips. The USAF obliged and had the GSA issue color number 17925 as un-tinted white.

What all this means is that either color 27875 in semi-gloss or 37875 lusterless could be construed as being correct.

Your paint, Mil-P-52905 is listed as "Paint, Camouflague, Removable". This paint was designed for ready removal using a 5% sodium hydroxide solution and a 2% Methocel solution, basically an aircraft soap solution.

The color white mentioned is 37875.

Numbers

Nonotagain,

Thank you for the information. Don't believe I ever heard of "Paint, Camoflague, Removable." That is a very cool obscure fact. Sort like Circular Hole Voider for paper punches.

Jim Gilmore (A Weasel Guru) responded to another thread elsewhere and he has been to the Studebaker file depository and other archives. I am sure he will find your information very interesting and your credit will go with the link.

I don't believe there will be a problem going with the current version of Lusterless White. Sounds like the same color just a different chemical makeup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks