• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would there be any interest in an all Stainless steel brake line kit for a deuce?

scootertrs

I have a friend that has manufactured stainless steel brake components for Corvettes for over 20 years. Friday I visited him to purchase a gallon of silicone brake fluid for my deuce fire truck. He has the facilities to do all of the lines for almost any vehicle. Out of curiosity I asked him if he would be interested in manufacturing a brake line set for a deuce. He said he could, he just did not know how popular such an idea would be since it would no longer be "original". I told him I would ask if there would be an interest from our members. He will be visiting my site where we are working on my deuce to see how reasonable the job would be. I know if I had the choice I would jump on it (depending on the price... of course). How do the rest of the members feel about it? I can vow for his work on corvette brakes. I have had his lines, master and wheel cylinders on my '65 for over 20 years without needing a seal kit... or a fluid change... still purple and like new... and I do rag her out on autocrosses and occassional sideways bouts... gotta love that!

Last edited:

scootertrs

It all depends on the price. Id say if you could keep it under 2-300 dollars he would get alot of business.
I am not going to give him a limit or a heads up... let him come up with a number... but the fact that all deuces are basically the same... should make it real interesting for him... I know that I had to replace 2 of my lines during this brake job... BTW, he also makes the rubber hoses...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put stainless lines in my old M725, wish I could have run it more to see how they held up over time. Sounds like a great idea for any MV, especially one you plan on using in the field, not just show queens.

scootertrs

BTW, I spoke to another bud that sells Mil surplus parts here in so fla and he said that restorers probably would not be interested... probably would not want to alter the originality... I have always been a follower of ... if it works and it is better... I will use it.

Marcel

I have a 5 ton dump and would be interested if the price was right. What grade of stainless does he use? 304...316?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd buy 2 sets if the price was right

scootertrs

I put stainless lines in my old M725, wish I could have run it more to see how they held up over time. Sounds like a great idea for any MV, especially one you plan on using in the field, not just show queens.
And I have nothing against show queens... they are just not for me... I remember filming an autocross while my son was driving our '65 vette (that we have owned for over 25 years) ... and I just about busted a gut when he lost it coming back on the home stretch... spinning wildly and recovering just before ... a lady was standing watching me film and laugh... she commented in a raspy and disapproving tone... what are you laughing about... you almost destroyed it... I replied that the operative term was almost... and that if we had "destroyed" it, we would re-build it... probably faster, better... etc. and that the car was meant to be enjoyed... and enjoying it meant... either leisurely sunday drives, going daily to work or ragging it out on a race track... BTW, the '65 is a cherry '65 327/350HP convertible that just loves to go sideways.... :D

scootertrs

If memory serves the copper/nickel alloy is best. Pretty pricey though.
don't know, but if it is the same stuff as used in my vette... it is tough... and hard to bend... and triply hard to double flare... so it probably needs to come ready to go unless you have a serious flaring and tubing bending kit.

DirtMagnet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stuff i'm talking abouts' claim to fame is workability. Cunifer is what it's called. I understand what you're saying though.

dozer1

I hate to sound negative, but I doubt its worth his time. Lots of deuce guys are bargain hunters and would talk themselves out of it when it came to crunch time. They would go to napa and get a few chunks of steel line to fix what is needed. There is no doubt that stainless would be way better line, but the cost + shipping would prevent many sales IMO . If he could make say 25 sets and try it without really being out much maybe my negative thought would be all wrong??

scootertrs

I hate to sound negative, but I doubt its worth his time. Lots of deuce guys are bargain hunters and would talk themselves out of it when it came to crunch time. They would go to napa and get a few chunks of steel line to fix what is needed. There is no doubt that stainless would be way better line, but the cost + shipping would prevent many sales IMO . If he could make say 25 sets and try it without really being out much maybe my negative thought would be all wrong??
I agree... but if your deuce is a keeper (I hope mine is) the idea of not having to screw around with lines in the future is tempting. Anyway, the purpose of this exercise is to discuss it amongst ourselves to see if it would make sense for us ... Largely, the way I see it, make or break is going to be dependent on the final price (inc shipping)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks