• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you wear these shoes?

3dAngus

I cannot say this is the only reason why I am not going to be ready for the Veterans Day Parade, but it sure is a show stopper all by itself. Would you mount these cracked shoes on your vehicle. I recently received these shoes in the mail from our favorite auction website when I noticed the broken asbestos or lining that runs throughout half of the two shoes. One is so obvious, a person would have to be blind not to see it. This is pure outright greed based selling. The seller, in my opinion, should be throwing these brake shoes away when defective in lieu of trying to sell them to the public.
Anyway, I am not one to try to assassinate one's character over something like this. I will work it out with him. Please be careful and inspect those brake shoes before you try to mount them. It's not worth the shortcut to go ahead and install then due to time restraints. Maybe someone will learn something from this thread and pictures. Buy from a reputable dealer. I won't be buying anymore brake shoes off a auction website. Life, and not just my own, is to precious to waste just for a few dollars. I hope the (unseen) pictures I took will reveal the cracks and damage. And no, in my opinion, this could NOT have been done in shipping. I see it as a manufacturing defect.

I'm also attempting to show how well worn the M37 brake shoes were before changing out. They were no longer making contact. Also, the brake line to it was corroded. I broke a steel line going to it replacing the short one up front and now have that set of complete brake lines on order. You can't seem to buy just one. A complete set costs around $150. Should be in early next week. No worries there...

Attachments

3dAngus

Update:
The seller just gave a full refund. Better then I expected, and the honorable thing to do.
This happened very fast considering I just filed a complaint with the auction house 20 minutes ago.
Now I start over with a purchase.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where the shoes sold a new, used or rebuilds?

Great that he refunded.

3dAngus

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is ... Read more
Manufacturer Part Number:
CC/1270798
Warranty:
No
Interchange Part Number:
Country of Manufacture:
Taiwan, Province of China

I have to admit, I overlooked (didn't notice) the place of manufacture when I purchased.
I don't see that as being an excuse for the poor or defective material advertised as "new" however.

3dAngus

Stock replacements. I am trying to find the original vendor I purchased the first set from, which were very good shoes, comparatively speaking. I wish I would have ordered more now, but bought those a while back and just now started to put them on. It always pulled to the right, with this drivers side inop. Now I know why. I should have just done the complete front end all at once. The passenger side was done a while back and it stopped well, but pulled right in an emergency lock up the wheels stop, which, of course, I never felt comfortable with. Thus, trying to make it right for the parade. I haven't driven this truck but three times in the 18 months or so I've owned it.

Vintage Power Wagons is where I got my other and good set. I will be going back to them for my next set tom orrow or on Monday.

Last edited:

goldneagle

FYI Ebay has a Buyer protection policy. If the item is not as described, the seller has to take it back or issue a refund. If the seller does not cooperate then Ebay will take the funds out of the seller's account and refund the buyer. Normal procedure is to contact the seller first and allow him to rectify the issue before filing a claim.

I am glad you got your money back fast.

zout

Just North of us 3D is one of the main brake shoe manufactures and rebuilder in the country.
On the M43 I sent my old shoes off to them - they inspected - relined at about $22 for the set (of two)
they came back better than new.

Glad you got your money back and that is a reason I hardly ever ever buy anything here besides the GOLD FACTOR - main fella that gets my $ is Midwest Military and I am willing to pay the extra $ so he can stay in business and I know
I always get excellent service and parts.

DAP

I have some old shoes not sure how much wear. You could use those as spares to get them relined and be all ready to swap out. I also have some break drums. Go over to the M37 site to see what I have. I am south of Charlotte, NC so a road trip might be worth your time. PM me.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were the shoes properly packaged? Almost looks like the seller put them in a box without padding and UPS did the usual number on them.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro and I found a company in Roebuck SC that relines clutches and brake shoes. We sent off a batch of 16, and got them back in like 2 weeks. THe metal was sandblasted, varnished, and the shoe material was top notch.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3dAngus,

Glad you got fast resolve. As mentioned, EBay has great buyer protection. Send some pics of the truck when you get everything back together.

Cheers,

Dave

nattieleather

I looked at the pics and thought huh did he buy used shoes, but no they where "new". Glad the money worked out but sad you wont be able to parade in 9 days.

3dAngus

Looks like the lining material was old, brittle and dry when installed on shoes.
Yes, and I admit, I have no knowledge of how these things, new or refurbished are put together, but the lining definitely looked brittle and dry (and coarse) when put together.
For some reason, the lining material reminded me of raccoon dung with seeds, where one has been hanging around the boat house as of late and leaving his droppings.

The remanufactured shoes ordered from Vintage Power Wagons a week earlier were better quality then these new ones.
I should have ordered both sets back then but did not. Then I saw this "bargain" on the web auction site and bought two more sets, even though I only needed one more.
And, I tried to order today, getting my days mixed up, and they are not open today on Saturday, so I'll put the order in on Monday morning. All is well.

I just found it to be very interesting and all, the difference in quality you can get around the world in something, that in the past, I always assumed to be a pretty standard replacement part.

zout

What is more interesting is whomever sold you those in PRINT as new and you stuck them on and got into an accident better have some really awesome liability insurance coverage - you could run them into the ground and make them
totally miserable besides poor.

I'd say they outta have at lease a 2 million liability insurance coverage for selling parts like that. Good note for vendors selling items not what they should be - someone may come back at you.

Glad it all worked out 3D and you'll be safe - now get your arse to the Columbus Parade the 9th - you have 6 more days to get it done fella.

3dAngus

Murphy at it again. I now replaced half my brake lines, both wheel cylinders up front, both shoes up front, master, bled all brakes up front, and brakes are worse and will not bleed out. No sign of leaks. It's been 30 years since I've bled any brakes but am guessing they won't pump up now because I have air in the rears which I did not bleed.
I ordered another $300 worth of brake parts yesterday afternoon and am going to make it a 100percent overhaul.
That's about $800-1000 worth of parts on the M-37. The list is growing. Hope it's worth it.
Happy Veterans Day to all, whether you served or not, it is a day we can all celebrate for those who have.
I cannot even imagine what it would really be like in a trench in WWII. My Hero's!

Toploader

There's two places I never skimp on, brakes and steering. Good thing your doing a 100% overhaul. I'm sure the feeling of having proper working brakes far outweighs the cost in the long run for yah.[thumbzup]

3dAngus

I agree about the brakes. Unfortunately, with all the projects and buying and selling this MV stuff of interest, I don't always have all the money to do all the things I want, so I was doing the brakes piecemeal, kinda fix what is broke type of thing.

And now, with my Veterans MV display down and vehicles reparked and put away, it is driving me crazy that I STILL don't have my parts in. Maybe tomorrow, and that might be the coldest day of the year. The good news is, I used the time to get another MEP-002 running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks