• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wow... Hold On!

Marlboro

i recently bought a 69 kaiser w/w with a hercules engine and d turbo, i took it to a tractor pull friday night and when i left the line in low range first gear the rpm shot right to 3000rpm and scared the daylights outta me... i knew the old girl wasnt supose to rev that high so i let off for a few seconds then got back into it, and it went right back to 3000rpm. by the FULL PULL mark the truck only lost about 300rpm and dug the tires right into the ground!
Now the old one i had a 72 am genernal with a white c turbo engine would loose all power by the end of the track.
So what do you think the difference is here? fuel turned up? it smokes a bit but it blue smoke. btw the truck came right from the military

dittle

Sounds like it has been turned up a bit. From the military under no load (tranny not engaged) the engine is supposed to be set to run at 2800 RPM so that under load it will run at the rated 2600 RPM.

dittle

Yes, if your fuel is turned up the engine will still run hotter EGTs than normal (especially if you put a load behind the truck).

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hercules Engines, Inc.
LD-465-1, LD-465-1C, LDT-465-1C, LDT-465-1D
full load - 2650rpm
no load - 2900rpm
(From TM 9-2320-361-20, chapter 1, page 32)

or

LDS-465-1
no load - 2850-2900rpm
(From the LDS Troobleshooting Manual, page 11)

Both manuals are in resources section. The diff from 2900 to 3000 is about 3%. Not much. You could check gauge for accuracy with strobe light on crank pully. There may be more power. Pyro will help you know where you are, or get some more. I found that EGT is highest at lowest end of operation range. Try and avoid 1600 and below. Not the best output there anyways. The troubleshooting manual has a nice graph on page viii with torque , hp, fuel and smoke curves. The D turbo may be able to make 15psi+, that is a lot of power and heat.

Can you post a picture of your truck doing a pull next time?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks