• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman bought a WHAT????

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

A few weeks ago a fellow SS member asked me to pick up a CUCV he had bought from GSA that was located close to my LZ.

My buddy and I took his CUCV, a towbar and slave cables and went to make the pick up.

When we got there the guy asked if we had brought any batteries which we hadn't.

He loaned me some beater batteries that were in the storage shed. We installed them, hooked up the slave cables and she fired right off. I was able to drive it back to my place. I did notice it had a lot of bounce on the way back.

I installed a new set of batteries so it could be driven onto a trailer and he started looking for shipping to his place (a little over 600 miles).

He got some sticker shock on having it hauled and after a few weeks of trying I offered to buy it at a price that allowed him to make a few bucks and got me a 4WD to haul stuff around the farm. All we have now is a small ATV or the big tractor to move feed and hay with.

I lucked out and got a nice set of used tires for it at my tire guy's place for a reasonable price.

While they had it on the rack installing the tires we noticed that the shocks were in fact gone, not worn out (thus the bouncy ride).

A quick trip to Advance Auto (where I get the family discount since # 2 son works there) and I secured four heavy duty Monroes to make her ride better.

She does have some rust issues in the lower door sills (rocker panels ?) and the floor pans on both sides need replacing but I looked on line and all the panels are available for reasonable money. I have a plasma cutter available and a mig welder so I can do the patching if I get that ambitious.

I drove these in the Army and never had a great desire to own one but since opportunity presented itself I just took the plunge. If I get really motivated I may repaint it camo or go wild and do a sand color.

It will also be available as a movie prop if needed.

So here is the evidence:

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Congrats WM! Definitely doesn't seem to be a "beater". They are handy. Remember, don't put ANYTHING in the back that will impair your ability to get to the tail gate latch!! from the INSIDE! (yep, been there, done that. :whistle:)
God bless,
Tony

FloridaAKM

Not a bad looking truck, actually looks pretty good from my point of view. Plus you saved a fellow SS member some coin to his satisfaction & yours too! A ++ deal for both of you.

Post some more of what you have done with it as far as repairs & upgrades!

Lake pipes sound good, till they start gurgling ;-) !

jedawson1

Welcome to the site, be sure to download the TM's and read up. With a little proper maintenance your new MV will be faster than a speeding bullet, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just think. If you bring the CUCV to the GA Rally and forget something at home, you can run and fetch it and not miss the rally.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Feeling a fever coming on!
Well.....since the big truck pipeline has been halted (temporarily I hope) a man has to get his green iron fix where he can.

I have to admit I keep having ideas about what kind of mods I can do.

Right now I need to do an oil change and next month after my welfare check comes in I'll take it to the transmission shop and have it serviced and adjusted.

Other than that it runs good and delivers chow to the horses, llamas, alpacas and donkeys that are up on the back 40.

Since I had Photo Shop and time on my hands I did this:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks