• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M101A2 Build

wsucougarx

Well, after telling myself I would never need a "small" M101A2 cargo trailer I found I truly needed one. I have spent the last few years not even giving the M116 series 3/4 ton military cargo trailers a look. I deemed them way too small and felt I would never need one. So I bought a M105A2 here and there and saw some really nice M101A2/A3's go by the wayside. Well, since my kids are getting older I found myself needing something to haul bikes and what nots around for vacations etc. I was in the market for a Thule bike rack and found they were ridiculously high priced at $500 plus for what we were looking for. Hmm I thought...I needed something to haul bikes and cargo for trips....the M105's are a bit too big for hauling behind the Suburban. Then it finally hit me:roll: That too "small" of a trailer would be perfect. Then I thought maybe the M1101's would be better. As I pondered this point, I had a fellow SS contact me to pickup his M1101 from JBLM. I figured this would be a good time to see if the M1101 would be a good fit. During our PM's back and forth about pick up, I asked if he knew anyone who had a M101A2 trailer for sale with a cover. He said he had one and the rest was history. After picking up the M1101, I realized how big those trailers are. I concluded the M1101 was too wide and way too tall for what we would be hauling it with. It, more than likely, would act like a big sail behind our already not so great fuel economy vehicles. I don't expect I'll have too much to do with this trailer. It does have a few issues here and there. Which is good to go with me. Can't have a "project" without issues;-). Going to upgrade the 24v military trailer harness with a dual plug for a civilian vehicle use and fix the surge brakes (shock issue?). I don't have a recovery story to speak of. The seller brought this trailer up with him when he came to get his trailer on Saturday (March 23rd). He's a great guy to deal with. Just have a couple paperwork details to work out and we're good to go.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Like I mentioned previously, this trailer will predominantly be pulled for family trips/vacations. So it'll primarily be behind my wife's Suburban. After I told her of my possible purchase, she insisted it be painted to match the Burb. She wants it Glossy Black. I kind of pondered this and felt it may be a possibility. However, when I saw the trailer in person I was like NO WAY am I painting this trailer. The CARC is fresh and looks outstanding! I told her if anything, her 2012 vehicle will have to match the trailer...LOL. She admitted the trailer looked good but I needed to do something about the Tan ugly boxes on the front and rear of the trailer. So the first order of business was getting rid of the tan boxes...LOL. I can handle that! I got out the Behr paint and roller and a can of flat black. I'm going to replace the port side boards as they are old weathered oak boards as well as one of the rear gate panels. Luckily I secured some fiberglass boards last year at our annual rally. So I've got the boards covered. I also flipped the headboard and rear gates around as they were mounted backwards;-) I also noticed the brake lights are upside down as well...LOL. This trailer came with a new top, new bows, and practically brand new tires!

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Project List: Spare tire rack, 2-4 fuel can holders, fix surge brakes, replace wood slats w/fiberglass boards, modify trailer wire plug for civy vehicle use, fabricate a landing gear crank handle (permanent), footman loops on the side for gear tie down, and maybe put wider tires in.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of people turn the lights upside down on 101s so that you can see them from behind better - They're fairly tucked up in there for what they are.

harleyhouse

So you feel a 1101 is too big behind a full size truck?
what about without the cover and bows on?
Did it stick out too far on the sides?

My 101A2 works great behind my 2500HD and if the truck makes it the trailer will too.
I was looking at 1101 and 1102 trailers to rebuild.

zak

Get some LED tail lights they will work with both 12 and 24 volts. Add a civilian harness and your good to go. The LED's are great and very visible.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the most practical trailers one could own. I have the A3 version and absolutley love it.

wsucougarx

Why the trailer out of all things?
Yesterday around dusk, I went outside with my kids to expend some of their energy before bedtime. I step out on the porch to see my son waving to a passing car (only saw the back of the car before it disappeared behind my cars. I asked who he was waving at. He replied a police car. Well, the cruiser went down to the dead end and turned around. As he passed the front of my house he looks over and slows down only to pull a U-turn. I'm thinking something must be going on. He then pulls into my driveway. I'm thinking OK, what's this all about. He rolls down the window and doesn't even look at me but I noticed his eye's were trained on my newly acquired M101A2. He asks the usual, What are you going to do with that, where did you get it etc etc etc. I was thinking my time finally ran out and the neighbors have had it with my yard full of OD Green. His questions were more for personal interest...hahaha...whew!!!! He just wanted to ask about my trucks and trailers. After a nice 20 minute conversation, he left. Now, why in the world do they not stop when I have my trucks parked in the street? Rather, they stop with a small trailer in my driveway?

jdknech

we have a m101A1, and a A2 for use on the farm, and to haul trash/scrap.. they pull very well, and you hardly ever know there behind you! looks like you got a great score on the trailer!

hwcurtice

I like the LEDs I put on my trailer. I kept the NATO harness intact and modified the hitch to accept it.

Now if I could find the time to get my rebuild really started...

wsucougarx

Well, this project didn't really take off. Rather, I had other projects come up. Well, something strange happened last night to me. I drove about 20 miles from my home in the dark pouring PNW rain to Hoquiam. On my way home I could make out a dark image in my rearview mirror. I tried to make it out but the driving rain and darkness enveloped my sight. I got home and realized what it was.......in disbelief I went inside and called it a night. Well, I awoke this morning and got ready for work. I went outside and started up my vehicle. In disbelief I stood there gazing...was it true? Why yes it was. I cleared my eyes to get a better picture....It was;-). I had another M101A2 follow me home;-) I apologize, I know I shouldn't post anything without pictures. I'll go out tomorrow and take some for you guys;-)

Amer-team

Good luck with those trailers Coug. I have been waiting for weekend weather to get better so I can experiment on the 1102, by putting a set of the smaller 16.5 tires on it. I think that will drop it down where it will tow level behind the Dodge 3/4. I went with one of the available adapters for the military vehicle cable to the 7 pin receptacle on the Dodge. Need to work on the lights as previously suggested, they work, but are a bit dimmer that they should be. Need to upgrade to LED's. Am also interested in doing a pull of the 1102 in stock configuration behind the 923 to see how that looks.

Amer-team

Another mod we probably need to do, is the swivel crank landing leg to the 101. It looks like most of the Army trailers don't have this, but the Air Force ones do. I was going to take it to the trailer store to see what matched up.

goodguyzy

I hate to say I told you so, but I did tell you that the 101a2 is the most used piece of military iron I use. Now for the 989a1 hemat.........well maybe not the best purchase.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks