• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTT: 5 ton wrecker M543A2 + M35A2C + M105A2 for something super nice, Dallas, TX area

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to post five times to SS before I can post a classified ad, so the 5 ton forum will see my first post which will be similar to the ad I plan to post in the classified section (only 4 more posts to go!).

I am private owner and interested in trading the following, all of which I own and have clear Texas titles in hand. I am willing to trade these trucks plus ca$h (if needed) for something extra nice, such as super nice 5 ton wrecker, super nice M911 Oshkosh, choice M818 5 ton tractor, cherry M813 5 ton cargo, awesome 10 ton tractor, HEMTT (may be dreaming for a HEMTT)...possibly an M35A3 or tracked vehicle. The bigger and meaner the better!!

Here's what I have. 'Would love to work a package deal with someone...

* M543A2, 5 ton wrecker. All there, all works. Hardtop. All three winches work, boom works, etc. I even have most of the accessories, such as mud palms, all blocks, spreader bars, etc. NDT tires 80+%. Has power steering upgrade. Truck needs painted to be extra nice, as there is some surface rust showing. Depot rebuilt in 1989. I believe the truck came from Okinawa, so there was rust in the cab, which was fixed/patched by the military. Needs new battery box. Texas title. I have not run this truck in about 4 years, but it will be running and cleaned this week!

* M35A2C w/w - 2 1/2 ton, drop sides, with winch. Hardtop. Nice, solid, no rust truck, but engine has developed a knock. Rod bearing??? 'don't know. I have not run this truck in about 4 years, but ran great, except occasional knock 4 years ago. Has top bows, but no rear canvas. NDT Tires 75+%. Texas title. Will need some type of engine work.

* M105A2 1 1/2 ton trailer. Nice trailer. No to very little rot. Has top bows, but no canvas. NDT tires 60%. Texas title.

I have many extra parts for the above trucks - used tires, rims, doors, NOS 5 ton fording kits!!!, 24 volt impact wrenches, and, if we work a package deal on the right trade, I will throw-in a ring mount with NOS mounting kits - legs, hardware, instructions, brackets, etc. ...but, it has to be the right deal on the right truck!

Also seriously interested in any Coast Guard or Navy vessles. Willing to trade for these, too. Must be ~50' or smaller.

All vehicles located near Denton, Texas, which is north of Dallas, Texas along I-35. 'sorry about the few bad pictures. I'll try to take better ones, soon.

I'm ready for something super nice, OD and big...minimum 5 ton size. Let's trade! PM me.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimmcld

Steve,

I can't believe you are trying to get rid of the wrecker. We haven't even had a chance to borrow it yet! Actually, I just bought one from GL.

Jim
Vietnam Veterans of America
Denton

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reply and answers to questions

All:

Thank you very much for all the posts and numerous PM's. I'll answer some of the common questions I have received.

1.) How much for the wrecker? Currently, I would prefer to work a package deal for both my wrecker and my M35A2C (as is) with someone. I'l sweeten the deal by throwing other goodies in - ring mount, M105A2 trailer, fording kits, etc. I realize I could most likely do better financially selling each item, but I am willing to pay slightly for convenience. I have not given much thought to selling separately and have not closely tracked the prices of wreckers...although I have seen some crazy prices for some very nice ones... $15K, $20K, $25K+... By the way, Oshkosh Equipment has a very nicely painted and serviced M816 on eBay now for buy-it-now of $25.5K, although it does have 56K miles and over 2K hours. My M543A2 is not that nice and it's not the 800 series which has the Cummins, but mine is much lower miles, lower hours, and is solid and working as it should. I don't know... $10k, $8.5K for mine????

2.) Fording kits for the 5 tons. I have 3 or 4 NOS kits, but I need to track down the NSN number to determine exactly what they fit. The boxes are stenciled "5 ton fording kits", but I have not yet tracked down the exact application via the NSN. The boxes have only been opened by me, so they are complete with instructions and hardware. I'll post the NSN and a few pictures of the complete kits within the next few days. I may very well sell all but one kit. I have no idea what they are worth, but based on the inquiries, they seem to be in demand.

3.) A couple PM's indicated distance could be problematic for a trade. Let me tell you, all it takes is $$. I had my wrecker trucked-in on a semi truck flatbed, no problem at all. Don't worry about distance, we can truck whatever wherever and I actually am a fully qualified CDL/D.O.T. medical card holding tractor trailer driver, so I could even haul myself with the proper equipment, but I would prefer to hire the service. ...So, let's talk trades and worry about the shipping cost as just simply another part of the deal.

4.) Finally, I slightly modified my original post to include looking for a HEMTT. Now, that could be fun!

5.) Keep those wild trade ideas coming. The bigger, greener, and meaner, the better!

Thanks!

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fording Kit details and pictures

Okay, I dug out one box of the five total (not 3 or four, as I mentioned earlier) NOS fording kits I have. All boxes are the same.

The NSN number is 2540-00-473-0111

The search I used indicates the following. Unfortunately, this does not tell me which 5 ton they are for:

NSN:2540004730111
(Warfighter Search)Item Name:WATERPROOFING KIT,VEHICLEQuery Type: PUBLICDate of query:4/22/2009 9:53:54 PM

I took some pictures and have attached. The kits are complete, although I thought there was a cable for the dash (there is on my M543A2). Also, this was the one kit I had opened before, and I believe I pulled the instructions, which I need to hunt for. Also, I did not open all the bags. There are more rods and other parts not pictured.

Also interesting to note these are painted in the old olive grab - Forest Green???

So, anyone know what exactly the fording kits fit?

I also have a couple humungous tow bars, NOS I bought from DRMO at Ft. Hood. These are much larger than the medium tow bar I own for the 2 1/2 and 5 tons. More on those later....

Thanks!!!

Attachments

brianrbull

I checked the NSN in FEDLOG it comes up as a Waterproofing Kit ,Vehicle
The End Item Identification is an M51a2. I am not familar with that truck. Mabey some of the other members can chime in with more details as to what it is.

area52

I checked the NSN in FEDLOG it comes up as a Waterproofing Kit ,Vehicle
The End Item Identification is an M51a2. I am not familar with that truck. Mabey some of the other members can chime in with more details as to what it is.

The M51A2 is the multi-fuel dump truck so I am not sure if these would work on a 809 series truck with the Cummins engine??

Maybe more knowledgeable persons will chime in.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fording Kits

Thanks all for helping deciphering my fording kits. P. 122 of my copy of "Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles" by Thomas Berndt, discusses briefly the M51A2, and of course the M51, and M51A1, etc. Seems as though the M51, M51A1, and M51A2 all used the same chassis. The M51A1 had the Mack ENDT-673 diesel engine and the M51A2 has the Continental LDS-465 multi-fuel. I would assume the fit of these fording kits will depend on the configuration of the air filter, which based upon the pictures in the aforementioned book, I can not determine.

I can easily measure pipe diameters on my kits, so we could eventually narrow down any applicability to other M5xx series. I'd venture to say, this might likely fit my M543A2 wrecker.

Eventually, I will dig through another kit for the instruction which indicate installation and fitment.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd trade for one of these, too!

... forgot to mention I'd trade for a LARC. My better half snapped these pictures of a LARC being transported just north of Denton, Texas on I-35E. 'not bad Blackberry pictures! Taken from my cherry Crown Vic Police Interceptor, by the way - note factory spotlight.

trade?... anyone?... anyone?... LARC? LARC?

Attachments

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Large tow bars NSN

Here is the NSN for the NOS large tow bars I have: 2540-12-164-5234

My search capability will not show what they fit. Anyone, anyone?

Decription is: SHEARING HALF,ABSC

The weird thing is I believe I only have one leg for three tow bars. I have three each of the leg with the lunette ring, but not the other leg. I would think someone could fabricate the other side.

I will sell these, but shipping is going to be a killer and truthfully, I would rather not mess with finding a place to ship them. Pick-up at my location is the way to go.

I can post pictures, if someone is interested. They are still wrapped from when I bought them from Ft. Hood, Texas.

Mil_Spec

I'm in Dallas as well....

I'd love to get the chance to come check your trucks out... Not sure how we contact ea other though to arrange that.

MotorTMan

The fording kits are for the multifuel. I put one on my 54a2 and it worked fine. Mine also said it was for a 51a2. Basically, I dont see a problem installing it on any 5 ton multifuel. A word of caution...My kit was a complete boxed kit, only for the outside hardware......Air cleaner extension, and mounting hardware only. There were no cables or linkages for the in cab hardware. I dont believe it will work for an 800 series. All hoses for the engine, air compressor, mounting brackets, are for the 5 ton multi.

Russ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks