• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII 1/4 ton trailer

48cj2a

I unbolted the left front spring hanger and uncovered the ACM number stamped into the frame.
It appears to read 41030 (but the "1" is inverted)
I'm the keeper of batamt3c.com and just stumbled on your thread.

Congrats on the ACM find!

I'm about 99% sure you have a Bantam T3. Which is Grand Daddy to the T3-C Civilian Trailers.

If your planning a resto you should have combat rims like these: http://bantamt3c.com/images/BantamT3C/2764/2764combatwheel.jpg

Go to the G503: G503.com Message Forums • View forum - Trailers 1/4 ton and go to the top sticky post by Chuck Lutz. Send him the ACM number...He can pin point a year and possibly a serial number range for you.

If you can get some thing concrete then contact www.dataplates4u.com He makes the best repro dataplates we've ever seen!

Last edited:

paulfarber

That looks like its wicked short. IIRC the original tongue and lunette was about 4-5 feet. Don't take sharp turns and maybe it won't hit the tow vehicle.

No disrespect to your efforts, but I don't see much of an improvement. Sorry.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
That looks like its wicked short. IIRC the original tongue and lunette was about 4-5 feet. Don't take sharp turns and maybe it won't hit the tow vehicle.

No disrespect to your efforts, but I don't see much of an improvement. Sorry.
4'-5'? ;-) Wow, you must be a fisherman.

According to MS 500069 the center of an M416 lunette is 31" from the front wall of the tub. The center of this one is 28.5" from the front wall of the tub. Close enough for my budget (the only thing I bought was new grade 8 hardware.

paulfarber

TM 10-1281 lists overall length at 108in and 'inside length' of 72, that 36 inches left. Drawbar length is 42.5 in

I can measure my trailer, but I'll buy 36in as the correct amount.

To short a hitch length causes all kinds of problems when turning and tracking.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
The jeep is about 60 years too new and 1600 lbs too heavy, but it will do for now.
DSC01625 (Small).JPG
I'll be changing how the pintle is bolted to the draw bar to level out the tongue.
DSC01626 (Small).JPG

Lex_Ordo

The jeep is about 60 years too new and 1600 lbs too heavy, but it will do for now.
View attachment 179032
I'll be changing how the pintle is bolted to the draw bar to level out the tongue.
View attachment 179033

Even so, there is nothing like a 1/4 ton Trailer being towed by a Jeep. I bought a Canadian M101 to tow behind my Hummer H3, and now am trading in for a Wrangler 4 Door. I am actually more happy now that a Jeep will be towing my trailer than when I first bought the trailer to go with the H3.

Attachments