• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Tank retriever scraping

crewchief

We just got a p&h log loader we are going to scrap and after i talked to the old owner and checked it out the P&H crane was placed on a WWII tank retriever chassis. Does anyone need any parts off of this old monster. It is chain drive to the rear wheels and no longer has a drive axle in the front and has a offset cab to the drivers side to allow for the boom to site down. If you want parts let me know you can have them if you pay to ship. I thought i would post this up here and next time i go up will get some pics also. We were going to haul complete to the scrap yard minus the boom but it is way over width. It does run also as far as i know. I just hate to see something like this being scraped when someone could use some parts for a restoration. Thanks Garrett

crewchief

Thats what i was thinking. I just hate to cut this up if someone could use some of it. The main winch for the crane complete came apart and is now worth fixing otherwise it would still be used today!

crewchief

It does alittle. The cab has ben modified for the boom to sit next to the operator and the frame has been cut and
and added to for length. The rear end looks the same!

rmgill

There are VERY few M26 Pacific's still in the US. I half think there are more in the UK/France since we left so many there and didn't ship them back. Please see if you can get these parts to someone who can resurrect one with the parts.

crewchief

There are VERY few M26 Pacific's still in the US. I half think there are more in the UK/France since we left so many there and didn't ship them back. Please see if you can get these parts to someone who can resurrect one with the parts.
Thats a very good point! If anyone knows anyone let me know! Im sure these rear axles and drive sprockets cant be the easiest to find along with suspension parts and other misc parts. I will get pics as soon as i can go up and get them. This is locked up behind a gate so ass clowns dont go up and destroy it. Thanks for the help guys!

crewchief

Here ya go! We went out tonight to start it but had to pull the battery's and threw them on the charger for tonight. It looks like this might go to a local since he has the exact crane and wants to repair this to operation condition! It has a big cam cummins in the instead of the old gas motor that would of came stock.

Attachments

nedpa64

It's a P&H truck crane, not an M-26 conversion. Somebody probably accidentally bashed the cab and fabricated an ugly replacement. Sorry to burst anybody's bubble. Ned

Jeff Lakaszcyck

I'm quite certain that crane truck is on a modified M26 or M26A1 chassis, it has same Knuckey dual chain drive used on these trucks. I took an almost identical photo of the chain drive on an M26A1 many years ago. That is an interesting crane truck, I hope someone at least saved the rear drive.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sterling HSC 330 also ran the same rear end - they made heavy wreckers (15 ton) for the Navy in WWII. I stir the pot a little to see if the parts are helpful, I know someone who has both a Sterling and a Pacific.

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Zebede, although they look alike the Sterling and Knuckey dual chain drives are not the same. Sterling introduced theirs in 1931 while the Knuckey came out about 1940. The crane truck rears are not from a Sterling HCS330 wrecker.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chain drives

Yup - I was unceremoneously informed of that when I told my mate about the truck. But thanks very much for the added clarification - at you told me what I was incorrect about - not just that I was wrong!

None the less, what is to become of the crane...?

Cheers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks