• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xml vs. Xzl

treysoucie

I did a search and could not find specifically what i was looking for so i started my own thread. Does anyone have any input on XML VS. XZL? my XML tires are on their way out and im thinking about going with 46" XZL this time around. The truck see's 90% road time 10% off road. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to the two?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search and could not find specifically what i was looking for so i started my own thread. Does anyone have any input on XML VS. XZL? my XML tires are on their way out and im thinking about going with 46" XZL this time around. The truck see's 90% road time 10% off road. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to the two?

I have trucks with and experience with both.
For "off road" use I will take the Michelin XML's over anything else. Excellent grip and clean tread well.
For mostly "on highway" running I prefer and use the XZL's. Excellent traction on wet roads and wear well.

Useful tire guide below.
http://www.militarytires.com/

treysoucie

Thanks for the replies fellas. Since we are on the subject of tires I'd like to ask a few of you about wheels. I'm looking to put some wheels on it this time around. What is currently the most cost effective way of getting a set of wheels on the truck that don't require flipping the hub? I dont mind flipping the hubs but if I can avoid it I would like to. Back when I put tires on it the hmvv wheels where the best option but where very pricey Has anyone figured anything else out?

peashooter

I'm obviously a fan of MRAPs as I sell the adapters for them. You don't need to flip the hubs to run them but they may stick out a touch further than stock duals depending on what style mrap wheel you find. Otherwise hemtt wheels can be converted by cutting and welding for slightly more than mrap adapters and they should be able to mount without flipping.. I guess it just depends what type of wheels you can find near you otherwise you have shipping to deal with too. FWIW when I flipped my hubs I discovered several bad seals that had coated brake shoes on 3 hubs with oil and grease, so it was good that I ended up deciding to flip them.

treysoucie

I'm obviously a fan of MRAPs as I sell the adapters for them. You don't need to flip the hubs to run them but they may stick out a touch further than stock duals depending on what style mrap wheel you find. Otherwise hemtt wheels can be converted by cutting and welding for slightly more than mrap adapters and they should be able to mount without flipping.. I guess it just depends what type of wheels you can find near you otherwise you have shipping to deal with too. FWIW when I flipped my hubs I discovered several bad seals that had coated brake shoes on 3 hubs with oil and grease, so it was good that I ended up deciding to flip them.

Do you know a good place to find MRAPS around the houston area? or at least know what they go for?

chestypuller1371

are the xml and xzl same size tires? i was looking at one as a spare but i have 6 xmls and its a xzl

ad says "Michelin XZL tire with 10 lug rim. Size 16.00 R20"

Last edited:

sandcobra164

If it's a "Michelin XZL tire on a 10 lug rim. Size 16.00R20", it's not going to fit your Deuce in the picture. The Deuce's can run 11R20 which measures out to about 43.9 inches tall. the 16R20 is roughly 52 to 53 inches tall depending on who makes them. You can run those on a 5 ton but I've read that spacing between the tandems is tight on a 5 ton. 11R20's on a Deuce in dualed configuration tend to rub the bolts on the trunion cap. When I singled out my 5 ton, I stayed with the tried and trued 14R20 tires as that was an upgrade that they did to many trucks. Please review the attached picture. That was my Deuce on a set of Firestone T831's showing where the possible rub spot may be. Good "dogbone rubber" all around on that truck.

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used 398/85 XML's for years on a deuce with no issues.

I have used 1100R20 XZL's for many years without issue also.

Pic of dualled 1100's shown with at least 10 ton in box.

Attachments

chestypuller1371

i have 6 of the xmls on them rims here, just debating ordering the expensive adapters or just going with used larger ndt tires for the rims i have on it stock and run duals.. either way its gonna be pricey but the shipping is whats holding me back on the adapters.

Attachments

chestypuller1371

395/85 XML'x on MLVW wheels.

the guy i got them from said they are[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] mrap wheels. is that the same as the mlvw? i seen them xmls mounted on another deuce with the stick wheels, i could go that route to avoid the adapters too. i kinda wanted to keep the 900s on wheels though so when i haul dirt and gravel i can have the duallys[/FONT]

HDN

I'm going with XML tires for the price I'm able to get them from Eastern Surplus. I think for the speed I typically drive my deuce (45 mph max) that road performance won't be a huge issue. Can't be worse than driving on NDTs in the rain!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks