• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Year of Manufacture for HMMWV

Terra1936

I have a I believe 1987 Humvee and the data plate was removed when someone replaced the side of the body. How can I verify that it really is a 1987? I see parking brakes in older and newer style sooooo. What is old and new humvee and how can I tell? If there is another thread on this I could not find it, except matching years by serial numbers? Chicken and egg syndrome.
Thanks !

Terra1936

I cannot see any numbers on window frame/ a pillar or any place else. I have a Montana title that says 1987 AM Gen. So, when your looking for parts what determines a old style to new style? Brakes, Etc. ??

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot see any numbers on window frame/ a pillar or any place else. I have a Montana title that says 1987 AM Gen. So, when your looking for parts what determines a old style to new style? Brakes, Etc. ??
The parts TM is a good place to start and compare with your parts or and MWO tags

Action

The numbers are not on the windshield area....
Sit in the driver seat with a flashlight. Shine it down by your left shin. The numbers are about 2" - 3" high and are sideways. I think they are on both sides in the area where the front door hinges are, but on the inside.

BLK HMMWV

What is the number on your Montana title.
You can compare that number to the year and serial # list in the first sticky in the HMMWV section.
Something sounds kind of funny. I'd ask the guy you got the HMMWV from for the body piece with the data plate on it.
Did you buy the truck without a data plate? If so what were you thinking ?
I'd tell the person you bought it from to give you your money back because it's going to be real hard to do anything without that tag. On or off road in Ca.
I don't think CHP will even do inspections and VIN verifications and assignments on HMMWV's anymore in this state.

tage

You bought a truck, and did not compare the title to vin of the truck?? The truck could be stolen!

sounds to me is that you bought a GP truck missing the data plate, and was the random that bought a vehicle without confirming the vin. Or you have a stolen hmmwv.

Action

I have a I believe 1987 Humvee and the data plate was removed when someone replaced the side of the body. How can I verify that it really is a 1987? I see parking brakes in older and newer style sooooo. What is old and new humvee and how can I tell? If there is another thread on this I could not find it, except matching years by serial numbers? Chicken and egg syndrome.
Thanks !
They all have parking brakes.

tomelroy

Does the parking brake have a lock on it that must be depressed to release the brake? Do you have brackets on the front of the A pillar for the early style mirrors? What type of front seats do you have? There are alot of clues to narrow down the year, but nothing that would pin it down to an exact 85-93. What serial number is on the title? How does it match up with the info in the sticky. Contact the previous owner and ask for his bill of sale. .Trace it back to the original owner.IMG_2210.jpg

Terra1936

Thanks for the info. There is a Assigned Vin by the motor vehicle dept and this was a salvaged recovery. BUT from the assigned vin there is no other markings that I can find to identify the actual year of manufacturing. Yes, they have parking brakes. HMMWV's have an old style and new style. Disc on drive shaft and the other style. So when I was looking for parts I am asked older or newer? There are high back seats. NOT on older MV without upgrade. This thread paraphrased was "Do you know anywhere on the HMMWV's" that have any manufacturing identification numbers?" If you do not have an answer keep your comments on another thread.

BLK HMMWV

The only real way to tell the year of manufacture somewhat accurately is from the original 6 digit Vin #.
Since you don't have that it is really almost impossible to know.
Unlike most civilian vehicles that have markings in a few places on the frame and body.

If your vehicle still has the parking brake on the rear drive shaft that will help date it but not very accurately.

You may find a tag on the back end of the transfer case. it won't tell you exactly anything but it might help establish if it has a 218 or 242 . it should also have a date on it.

Non of the things will determine as much as the original now missing data plate but all the little clues may help bracket a smaller clue into possible year.

tage

If you do not have an answer keep your comments on another thread.
no. there's only one vin, and it's on the data plate. you might have a frame rail tag, but the chances are slim to none that it still is there. the sticker someone posted does not match the vin. 6 digit all numbers.

I find your story still suspicious. to get a DMV assigned vin they verify the previous vin to make sure the truck ain't stolen... (as well as verify engine numbers) then they usually put the sticker over the previous vin so no confusion is made on the current vin of the truck.

Listen, you need to get the data plate from the previous owner, as well as bill of sale, and all previous bill of sales. even the copy of the SF97 should be filed at the DMV. If you do not have that. It is very suspect that your truck really doesn't belong to you. You really need to do your due diligence right now.

also please post your title number.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. There is a Assigned Vin by the motor vehicle dept and this was a salvaged recovery. BUT from the assigned vin there is no other markings that I can find to identify the actual year of manufacturing. Yes, they have parking brakes. HMMWV's have an old style and new style. Disc on drive shaft and the other style. So when I was looking for parts I am asked older or newer? There are high back seats. NOT on older MV without upgrade. This thread paraphrased was "Do you know anywhere on the HMMWV's" that have any manufacturing identification numbers?" If you do not have an answer keep your comments on another thread.
There is a body number.
Its not the same number as Vin, but its somewhat close.
The things the other guys are telling you will indicate if its a 80's or 90's truck.
No number on engine other then cast on date code.

tomelroy

I posted the pic of the numbers on the a pillar from one of my trucks. If you had those numbers but had lost the vin plate, is it possible the military would have record of the vin that was associated with the registration numbers? i am not sure. If so maybe those number have been painted over on your truck.

But would like to see some pics of your rig.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being a "salvaged /recovery" it could have been a stolen vehicle which would explain no data tag or it could have been assembled out of a pile scrap .

As for your thread title the question has been answered there isn't one.
So that will leave you with identifying the parts before ordering , it will be up to you to order the correct part through your own research .

Action

There are 3 styles of parking brakes on the HMMWV. If you order the new style, you may end up with the expensive Wilwood stuff from 2007 and newer.
Seats, brakes, etc could have all been upgraded easily.
If you think the drivetrain is original, check the block date code or T/C tag for the year. Then your HMMWV can't be older than that. But those can be replaced, too.

Terra1936

Thanks for all the answers. The vehicle was "t boned" on the drivers side and the frame rail and body parts look new and replaced on the driver side. The parking brake cables run to the rear calibers. Its a nice Earl Schieb paint job in red with Hummer H1 bumpers and front seats. Nice 6.5 engine and still a 3 speed with a new transfer case and rear drive train. It's a Franken Truck (If Johnny Cash was into humvee's he would write a song) and its my new project and runs, drives and seems great. Ill post some photos when I finish the camo paint. Helmet tops do not look right red. IMO. Thanks everybody.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks