• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yermo m1151 missing air filter

Autonomy_Lost

I received my Yermo m1151a1 yeserday. It's a runner, so I had to start it immediately to drive it off the car hauler truck. I also had it running for maybe 10 minutes in my driveway just testing things out, checking the AC compressor, gauges, etc. The engine runs and sounds normal to my untrained ears.

Then as part of my inspection I opened up the air filter housing, and to my surprise there is NO air filter installed. A few minutes later I realize that the air filter was thrown in the back of the truck.

I also noticed a good bit of sand in the bottom on the air filter housing. It seems that it was too heavy to get sucked into the engine, but it doesnt make me feel great about the situation.

Should I be worried about internal damage? Is there anything I should do besides replace the filter and change the oil?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received my Yermo m1151a1 yeserday. It's a runner, so I had to start it immediately to drive it off the car hauler truck. I also had it running for maybe 10 minutes in my driveway just testing things out, checking the AC compressor, gauges, etc. The engine runs and sounds normal to my untrained ears.

Then as part of my inspection I opened up the air filter housing, and to my surprise there is NO air filter installed. A few minutes later I realize that the air filter was thrown in the back of the truck.

I also noticed a good bit of sand in the bottom on the air filter housing. It seems that it was too heavy to get sucked into the engine, but it doesnt make me feel great about the situation.

Should I be worried about internal damage? Is there anything I should do besides replace the filter and change the oil?
Worry if you want but it will not help or change anything, clean it up, put in a filter and keep on trucking!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To actually answer your question, nobody can tell you if there has been any damage or not, engines can normally consume allot of particulate matter without issues, the biggest risk from sand would be cylinder wall damage, as long as it does not start to consume oil you are probably good.

Now change all the fluids and filters!!

Autonomy_Lost

To actually answer your question, nobody can tell you if there has been any damage or not, engines can normally consume allot of particulate matter without issues, the biggest risk from sand would be cylinder wall damage, as long as it does not start to consume oil you are probably good.

Now change all the fluids and filters!!
Thanks! I'm wondering why the hell they would remove the filter in the first place? I remember when I bid on my truck seeing a few other trucks where it was disclosed that the air filter was removed. Why on earth would they do that? I assume it's somehow related to the demilitarization process? The fact that the filter was in the back of the truck makes me think that it was probably installed shortly before it was sold, but who knows.

The other thing that I find irritating is that they removed the snorkel and left the air intake open with no cap. That would obviously let rain into the engine. Fortunately water never got in there because it was bone dry when I opened the filter housing. (I actually cracked the housing open to see if any water drained out before starting it, but I didn't open it enough to see that the filter was missing).

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter housing may or may not have a drain depending if it had a fording kit, if it did you want to look and see if the CDR valve is gone, DIRECT entry into the intake, that should be your VERY first concern.
Most likely someone just needed a new filter and grabbed one out of the "bone yard" and tossed the old one in the back, not replacing it with the old one tells the next guy to check a different truck.

EDIT, scrounging for parts is a time honored tradition in the armed services.

Autonomy_Lost

The filter housing may or may not have a drain depending if it had a fording kit, if it did you want to look and see if the CDR valve is gone, DIRECT entry into the intake, that should be your VERY first concern.
Most likely someone just needed a new filter and grabbed one out of the "bone yard" and tossed the old one in the back, not replacing it with the old one tells the next guy to check a different truck.

EDIT, scrounging for parts is a time honored tradition in the armed services.
I assume it had the fording kit, because it did include the snorkel (although not installed) and the extended exhaust pipe. There is a hole in the dash where the fording valve was once installed. I will check to see if the CDR valve is there, thanks for the heads up!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you EVER run it again replace the missing CDR valve, it sits on the pass side valve cover, go ahead and plug the hole going into the intake while you wait for it to arrive, one little nut, screw, washer etc. gets in there and the engine is DONE!

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW just get the "regular" valve, unless you are crazy you are never going to go fording anyway and the extra cost is just not worth it.
EDIT here are pictures of the CDR valve, the first the valve is upside down that is the connection you are concerned with.

Attachments

Autonomy_Lost

Before you EVER run it again replace the missing CDR valve, it sits on the pass side valve cover, go ahead and plug the hole going into the intake while you wait for it to arrive, one little nut, screw, washer etc. gets in there and the engine is DONE!
Okay, glad I asked because I had no idea to look for that. It seems insanely stupid that they would remove these parts and leave the vehicle in this condition, just so people cant drive through deep water. If you're going to remove a critical part, at least replace it with something that will prevent damage to the engine.

It's such a shame our tax dollars go into this $220,000 vehicle only for them to hack it apart with sawzalls, cut wires, etc. Such a waste.

GTUnit

If it has a bunch of blowby then you know the damage has been done. If not then you should be good to go. Vacuum everything out and enjoy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I assume it had the fording kit, because it did include the snorkel (although not installed) and the extended exhaust pipe. There is a hole in the dash where the fording valve was once installed. I will check to see if the CDR valve is there, thanks for the heads up!
Chances are that Joe Dope assumed removing the filter to apply starting fluid might make his job easier.
Most of the motorpool folks don't have a clue (or care) about the cost of that filter. :-(

badger_610889

If it has a bunch of blowby then you know the damage has been done. If not then you should be good to go. Vacuum everything out and enjoy.
Hi,

Not necessarily IMO. Can be simply hard baked hydrocarbons and that's relatively cheap to fix in that case. No need to rebuild the engine.
I could be wrong for diesel engines as I'm new to those, but that's a fact for gasoline engines and diesel is hydrocarb any way.

How many miles is the engine estimated to have?
I have seen many (gasoline) truck owners get recommended for an engine rebuild by mechanics leveraging blow-by vapors as the proof. And we'd fix those for about $80 of decarbonizer.

So I would not panic (yet)

Now you can also theorize that someone before the auction boosted the batteries and put it in shape to start it for the GP video, and tossed the filter. In such case the truck didn't really run without filter.
You have it in hand now so my philosophy with these vintage or military vehicles is to also remain optimistic, otherwise we wouldn't even go there 🤪

Autonomy_Lost

It looks like the cdr valve was bypassed. There is a tube tucked into another tube, that runs from the air intake to the oil fill.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks