• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another 813 owner in the UK

madrat

Hey everyone,
I've just bought an 813 and stumbled across this site whilst looking for info. Looks like there is a lot of good information and knowledgeable nutters on here! :-D

Its needing a bit of work on the engine but everything is there as far as I know. I'm taking delivery of it on Sunday so will post a few pics then. It will have a Scammell pioneer and an Alvis stalwart to keep it company in the shed so no worries about it getting lonely!

Any advice on ownership would be welcomed!

Best Regards,
Duncan

Last edited:

John C

Hi Duncan.

Good to see another 813 owner here, especially one like yourself who is from the U.K. May I ask where did yours come from? And what sort of work does it need?

I’m still waiting on delivery of mine which is located down by Kings lynn, I’ve been waiting for a back load to make the transportation back up here to N. Wales a bit cheaper, finally heard from the transport firm toady who said they have a load going that way early next week so hopefully I can have a play with it a last.

Regards John.

madrat

Hi John,
Mine came from the Birmingham area, its in need of some engine work and I'll be needing a load of bits or possibly a spare engine!

My new toy will be heading up north this weekend so if yours makes a move next week then that has to be a good percentage of the UK tatra's finding new homes in just one week!

How many are out there in the UK?

Regards,
Duncan

p.s. Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier for the 813?

duncan

For the parts: ATH Tatra, english speaking tatra dealer. Might not be the cheapest, but defo a good source for everything 813!

It's almost like theyve opened a new can of 813's :roll:

John C

How many are out there in the UK?

Regards,
Duncan

quote]

I would hazard a guess at around twenty or so in the U.K. There seem to be few of them at various off road driving centers, and a few owned by guys who were into the truck trial thing, a few more imported by dealers for people etc etc, anyway there are more about than I first expected and new ones keep popping up the more I look.

John C

John C

Beware having anything to do with this firm! Sorry to say it but the fella who runs it is not exactly trustworthy as a lot of his customers will tell you - like me! Most of his so called stock are just photos of stock held by other firms in Europe like Mortar investments etc

Sorry to bad mouth but I wouldn’t want anyone else getting had by em, or if you do have dealings at least be very cautious.

duncan

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't planning on getting anything from there anyway, but what you're saying sounds rather bad. Just thought he had a lot of 813's over in the UK from the looks of those pictures.

duncan

The Manby Experience had a spare engine for sale last year for 1200gbp, they might still have it? All their 813's are gone now though.

Looks like theres a good market for new cabs too...

madrat

Thanks Duncan,
I think the spare Manby engine was sold to Komotive, depending on the cost of the bits this engine might be economical to repair. A bit short of cash just now so it might wait in the shed for a while yet. Cant wait to get going on it though...

duncan

Know all about the cash bit, currently saving to buy me that new cab. Get it running asap though, seeing it move makes it from a massive pile of rusty metal into the coolest truck in existence. Every time I feel like "wtf was I thinking buying this massive pile of rust" I just get it, fire her up and drive over something, puts a massive smile on my face for at least a week :D

Theres a ton of small things you can do without spending too much money though. Try locating all the grease plugs (I still keep finding new ones ;)), check fluid levels on powersteer/transmission/clutch/etc. Service the brakes and air lines, the works. Make sure its ready for that engine.

And dont forget to save money for a set of batteries (that set me back about 600gbp too).

madrat

Yeah, I know what you mean! The plan is to get the current engine up and running as cheaply as possible for now. That will let me test out the rest of it so I can see what else its needing!

For now it can just be driven about the farm, when its time to take it on the road I'll buy a new engine for it. Got a few other projects to finish first and I'm trying not to get distracted by the Tatra until its the right time :grin:

Those new cabs were very nice indeed! The one on mine isn't that bad, the door bottoms aren't great and the floor needs some work but in general its not that bad, just a few days welding.

duncan

We found that welding the cab is very hard, the metal is very thin, and since youre welding in the bad areas, it turns into a mess very fast. My cab is very bad though, yours does look better.

madrat

I was amazed by how thin the metal was! I closed one of the roof hatches and it made a sound like dropping a tin can! I'm used to rather heavier steelwork, the hatches on the stalwart must weigh 50kgs each!

We'll see how the welding goes....

John C

Glad she's home :-D When are you planning to start doing that engine up? If it's a long term project then I may have a spare engine for you - I'm planning on replacing the one I have in favor of the more powerful lump found in the later Tatras, mine possibly needs a clutch soon anyway so I think I will just pull the whole lump out and fit the new engine then. I'm investigating this option at present to see if it's possible without too much hassle, if an easy swap then will probably do it within a couple of months.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks