• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet another engine oil and diesel fuel thread

plym49

1. With most of the zinc gone from today's engine oils, what is recommended for my multifuel? Do I also need a zinc additive and if so, how much?

2. I will be taking a long highway trip and expect to be using all road diesel. What lubricity additive is recommended these days? I have been using two-stroke oil.

Attachments

HDN

1) I think Shell Rotella T would be okay for the truck. That's what my dad and I use in our trucks.

2) I don't have a multifuel, but I can't see why road diesel without additives would be a problem.

Nice truck!

plym49

1) I think Shell Rotella T would be okay for the truck. That's what my dad and I use in our trucks.

2) I don't have a multifuel, but I can't see why road diesel without additives would be a problem.

Nice truck!
Thank you!

My understanding is that current road diesel is too low in Sulphur to lubricate the injector pumps of these old engines. I have been using 2-stroke oil as a fuel additive for years but am facing a 2000 mile drive, so the pump will be moving a lot of fuel.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

My understanding is that current road diesel is too low in Sulphur to lubricate the injector pumps of these old engines. I have been using 2-stroke oil as a fuel additive for years but am facing a 2000 mile drive, so the pump will be moving a lot of fuel.
Good to know! I'm still fairly new to anything diesel, so I'll give the Cat dealer a call tomorrow to see what they say (y)

fleetmech

Any name brand engine oil should be good for the multi, and is no doubt miles ahead of whatever crud the army was buying in bulk back in the day. Im a big fan of Napa's house brand, its made by Valvoline and a good price. Zinc has been a concern for a long time, but I feel thats really a bigger issue for engines with high valvetrain/ spring loads. In any event, as I mentioned above, my own opinion is that modern oils are so much better all around that the specific loss of zinc isn't a catastrophic issue.

The youtube channel ProjectFarm did some testing a while back with vintage oil vs cheap modern stuff, and the difference was astounding. the new stuff was miles ahead.

As for fuel, Im a strong believer in 2 stroke oil. Ive been running it in mechanically injected Cummins for over 10 years and believe it to be excellent, especially for the price point. I've heard some guys champion trans fluid over the years, but most of that stuff is synthetic now, which doesn't burn as good, and has lots of other additives in it for clutchpack slippage control and all that. Two stroke oil is designed to be a consumable lubricant, and its very good at it. Come to think of it, I think ProjectFarm tested that too!

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any name brand engine oil should be good for the multi, and is no doubt miles ahead of whatever crud the army was buying in bulk back in the day. Im a big fan of Napa's house brand, its made by Valvoline and a good price. Zinc has been a concern for a long time, but I feel thats really a bigger issue for engines with high valvetrain/ spring loads. In any event, as I mentioned above, my own opinion is that modern oils are so much better all around that the specific loss of zinc isn't a catastrophic issue.

The youtube channel ProjectFarm did some testing a while back with vintage oil vs cheap modern stuff, and the difference was astounding. the new stuff was miles ahead.

As for fuel, Im a strong believer in 2 stroke oil. Ive been running it in mechanically injected Cummins for over 10 years and believe it to be excellent, especially for the price point. I've heard some guys champion trans fluid over the years, but most of that stuff is synthetic now, which doesn't burn as good, and has lots of other additives in it for clutchpack slippage control and all that. Two stroke oil is designed to be a consumable lubricant, and its very good at it. Come to think of it, I think ProjectFarm tested that too!
I like the idea of using 2 stroke oil to help lubricate the injectors. Do you have a recommended ratio for the multi fuel?

fleetmech

It really doesn't take a lot, and I admit im not always precise with my measurements. Anywhere close to 100:1 and you'll be doing very good. More, of course, is only going to be better. FWIW, I use conventional type 2 stroke, not the synthetic.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any name brand engine oil should be good for the multi.

From his avatar and that he is calling the Cat dealer he has a 3116 kitty under the hood. As for the oil I am not going to get on the wagon again but my oil analysis from Blackstone and one of the Rotella 15- 40 came in at 1200 ppm zinc. As for fuel additives I will pay the price for a product that cleans, will lubricate and is a cetane booster over two stroke oil. There are plenty out there to try and easy to find.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stanadyne makes a great fuel additive for lubricity, I saw some in a farm & ranch store the other day so it’s becoming easier to find.

Amsoil makes a retro motor oil for older diesels with added Zinc and other bases...haven’t tried any yet but am about to order some

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Opti-Lube XPD as a diesel fuel additive that provides a lot of benefit. It worked great in my VW TDI and seems to be performing well in my Deuce. I just changed my oil for the first time since purchasing my truck with Chevron Delo 15w40, seems ok so far.
Opti-Lube XPD

4WD

Wish there was good test results available on the major fuel (diesel) additives that's for sale.. Sometime feel like I'm wasting $$ on hype.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish there was good test results available on the major fuel (diesel) additives that's for sale.. Sometime feel like I'm wasting $$ on hype.
Myself I like to hedge my bets so I will go with the additives. If nothing else you should be using the 2 stroke oil for lubricity. I spend 10 times the amount of the cost of the additives renting movies from Amazon sitting in my recliner every month. Good thing I do not drink a alcohol or it would be 100 times the amount every month I spend sitting in front of the TV.

Last edited:

HDN

Attention M35A3 owners: The Cat dealer told me that the 3116 diesel can run off low-sulfur road diesel #2 without concern for additional injection pump lubrication.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Attention M35A3 owners: The Cat dealer told me that the 3116 diesel can run off low-sulfur road diesel #2 without concern for additional injection pump lubrication.
If I can offer advise, regardless of any manufacturer saying something is rated to run ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) that is found in all of our pumps nation wide if you run a lubricant of some sort whether it’s some clean motor oil, 2 stroke oil, or any other known lubricant relatively safe to burn, you’re going to improve injector and injector pump life span. How much? That’s hard to actually measure, but it will prolong life. If you have a civilian diesel with egr, dpf, etc then you should ONLY burn additives safe for emission systems.

Unfortunately many of our green iron toys have suffered a miserable life running on JP-8 which lacks proper lubrication more so than pump diesel, leading to our components potentially being worn prematurely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleetmech

If I can offer advise, regardless of any manufacturer saying something is rated to run ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) that is found in all of our pumps nation wide if you run a lubricant of some sort whether it’s some clean motor oil, 2 stroke oil, or any other known lubricant relatively safe to burn, you’re going to improve injector and injector pump life span. How much? That’s hard to actually measure, but it will prolong life. If you have a civilian diesel with egr, dpf, etc then you should ONLY burn additives safe for emission systems.

Unfortunately many of our green iron toys have suffered a miserable life running on JP-8 which lacks proper lubrication more so than pump diesel, leading to our components potentially being worn prematurely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I strongly second this! No matter what you add, its better than nothing.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks