• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Your thoughts on this M211 please?

USMC 00-08

I recently stumbled on this M211 and the owner said that he would sell it for $500 without the water tank that is on it. ( I don't want that anyway.) It also has a title. He is only wanting to sell it because I have expressed an interest in it. The truck was made in 1954.

I already have an M135 and was thinking of either turning this into a parts truck or restoring this as well. I have not started restoring the M135 yet and don't need a lot of parts except for parts for the bed.

The owner says the truck runs and drives without any problems but the brakes need some work. He said that they work when there is brake fluid in it but that there is a leak. He said that he could show me where the leak is. He said that he has not started the truck in almost a year and had been hauling water to his cows when the weather was bad. I do know him and I have no reason to not believe him as to wether the truck runs and drives fine.

Could you take a look at the pics and tell me your thoughts. I am not real knowledgable about these trucks yet. I think that for $500, this would be some cheap parts though if that is the route I decide to go.

Here's the pics....sorry for the quality. It was getting dark and cold. I didn't have a lot of room to get good angles etc.

Attachments

armytruck63

Except for the bed, the truck looks very complete. If you can get it for $500, I would say go for it. Plan on having it towed to your place, either on a trailer or with the driveshafts removed.

The bed is identical to an M35A2 and is readily available.

for $500 there are lots of parts to chose from I bought 2 parts trucks when I built my m211 and it worked out very well .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get rid of the tank, get it home and wash it off, and it will be worth twice what they are asking for it, and you'll be happy you got it. Try to get the other wheels/tires for it, as part of the deal - in fact tell him to throw in all the rest of the military stuff he has, for that kind of money.

nattieleather

$500 is a good price for that truck. Remember though it ran when he parked it a year ago...which means it wont run now with out some TLC. I agree with above tow it home clean it up and you may find yourself restoring this truck and using the M135 for parts. :)

USMC 00-08

Get rid of the tank, get it home and wash it off, and it will be worth twice what they are asking for it, and you'll be happy you got it. Try to get the other wheels/tires for it, as part of the deal - in fact tell him to throw in all the rest of the military stuff he has, for that kind of money.
Yes I will ask him about those when we finalize the deal. I believe that is how he bought it so I am pretty sure he doesn't have any more wheels. Are extra wheels hard to find for these? I'll also ask if he has anymore military equipment. I didn't see any, other than this one.

Looks like it may have been converted to 12v. Single battery and external coil next to the oil filter, no big deal. Great vehicle!
This guy has MANY trucks, none military other than this one I think. I asked him if it had been converted to 12v and he said that he thought it was still 24v since if he recalled correctly, he had to use two batteries to start it. Like I said, he has many, many trucks and I don't know how he could keep it all straight.

bubba_got_you

Yes I will ask him about those when we finalize the deal. I believe that is how he bought it so I am pretty sure he doesn't have any more wheels. Are extra wheels hard to find for these? I'll also ask if he has anymore military equipment. I didn't see any, other than this one.
[FONT=&quot]Rims are same as deuce rims if im not mistaken [/FONT]

USMC 00-08

$500 is a good price for that truck. Remember though it ran when he parked it a year ago...which means it wont run now with out some TLC. I agree with above tow it home clean it up and you may find yourself restoring this truck and using the M135 for parts. :)
I thought of that too but my M135 is in pretty decent shape too except for it is orange. It was used by the forestry service then a local fire department for a short time. Best of all, a friend gave it to me so the price was right. I am going to go to where it is today and get some pics of it. I will post them hopefully later this evening.

Maybe I will soon have 2 trucks that I can restore! :-D

USMC 00-08

[FONT=&quot]Rims are same as deuce rims if im not mistaken [/FONT]
That will be nice then. There is a place near here in Lamar, CO that sells tons of stuff for the M35. I have not ever spoken with them yet but looks like I will have to in the near future. There is also a place in Dodge City, KS as well. This may be easier than I thought.

XM 2742

$500 is a steal. It is worth twice that in scrap but if you scrap it your mother will disown you. parts are out there and it is a great pastime tinkering with those things.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I paid almost that much to get a hard top for my M135, go for it. It's not military but I am pretty it is the aftermarket one that was sold by Memphis Equipment .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks