• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

zinc oil additive

richingalveston

just putting this out there for its own review. Not sure this is the right section
recommended on the older engines, engine oils now are more formulated for newer engines and no longer have the good stuff for the old ones.
1 bottle each oil change recommended.
I would like to get the expert opinion of all. This would apply to about all military vehicle engines.

Thanks
Rich

Attachments

Flyingvan911

In the M151's we just use 15W40 since it lubes well. You could add something if you wanted to. They say zinc additives are bad for vehicles with catalytic converters but most MV's don't have them anyway.

Stranger

As a professional chemist, the first few paragraphs of that article made me cringe. "Mr. Speed" is trying really hard to sound like he knows what he is writing about. He says lots of words that sound correct to a non-chemist, but, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have a clue. There is so much wrong with that paper I don't know where to begin.

For example, the author does not appear to know that ZDDP and ZDTP are both common and accepted acronyms for zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. The difference in the third letter comes from the subjective emphasis on either the "d" or the "t" in dithio. However, the acronyms refer to exactly the same class of molecules.

We do know that ZDDP serves as a lubricant. Part of the compound adsorbs to the oxidized surface of iron containing engine components. It does this by donating the sulfide portion of the molecule to form an iron sulfide. However, this isn't the whole story. Sulfides will cause sulfide stress cracking in steel if in high enough concentration. Steel manufacturers go to great length to remove sulfur from steel to prevent the formation of iron sulfide.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a professional chemist, the first few paragraphs of that article made me cringe. "Mr. Speed" is trying really hard to sound like he knows what he is writing about. He says lots of words that sound correct to a non-chemist, but, unfortunately, doesn't appear to have a clue. There is so much wrong with that paper I don't know where to begin.

For example, the author does not appear to know that ZDDP and ZDTP are both common and accepted acronyms for zinc dialkyldithiophosphate. The difference in the third letter comes from the subjective emphasis on either the "d" or the "t" in dithio. However, the acronyms refer to exactly the same class of molecules.

We do know that ZDDP serves as a lubricant. Part of the compound adsorbs to the oxidized surface of iron containing engine components. It does this by donating the sulfide portion of the molecule to form an iron sulfide. However, this isn't the whole story. Sulfides will cause sulfide stress cracking in steel if in high enough concentration. Steel manufacturers go to great length to remove sulfur from steel to prevent the formation of iron sulfide.

Hmmmmm, very interesting! So? Not everything on the internet is true? I'll be darn!

Rich, thanks for bringing this up! Not all additives are "good". Lucas is a brand name that's been around awhile! Really appreciate some more knowledgeable input on this subject! THANKS again for it's introduction.

richingalveston

I hope more people have more info.

I soaked my rockers in it prior to assembly, per the manufacturer instructions. I am going to put it in the first few oil changes on my new motor to aid in the break in period. We will see what info comes available to see if I keep using it.

Thanks Mr. Chemist for the info.

I am trying to determine what would be the best oil and possible additives for my new motor.

Thanks,
Rich

treva2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My parents were raised in Pa. and my dad always preached about the high quality of Pennsylvania crude oil. He told me they would never use it to make gasoline. It was too valuable as a lubricant. there is a brand called Penn Grade and they have an oil formulated for diesel engines. That's what I will be running in my Cummins-deuce.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running the Lucas product with TB Zinc-Plus in my Deuce for about a year (600mi), and the only thing I've noticed is, it starts easier in real cold weather. I'm running Rotella T 15-40 engine oil.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks