• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PETLAS Has anyone tried these tires?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After mounting 4 of the tires I noticed the rings cast in the tires just outside the bead area are not even all the way around, so I put one on my test rig and sure enough the tire I tested was out of round coinciding with the "error" in the bead seating, so now I have to assume all the hell I have had for the last few years is due to the Trail Worthy Fab bead locks not allowing the bead to seat correctly on the rims, I have sent a note to TWF to see what they say and I guess I get to do all the work over again and may have to toss the TWF bead locks I paid dearly for:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
HOPEFULLY I have not ruined $1500 worth of tires :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nutman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After mounting 4 of the tires I noticed the rings cast in the tires just outside the bead area are not even all the way around, so I put one on my test rig and sure enough the tire I tested was out of round coinciding with the "error" in the bead seating, so now I have to assume all the hell I have had for the last few years is due to the Trail Worthy Fab bead locks not allowing the bead to seat correctly on the rims, I have sent a note to TWF to see what they say and I guess I get to do all the work over again and may have to toss the TWF bead locks I paid dearly for:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
HOPEFULLY I have not ruined $1500 worth of tires :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Dang that’s a bummer I hope you’re able to reset those beads and keep the tires. The interco RXM-32 tires I just mounted ride like soft cushions, so far so good. 🤞

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that they say the bead lock rings are tire specific, because unlike the rubber military ones, the PVC ones have zero give to them, so if the size isn't perfect, it can cause issues when you are tightening down the wheel halves. Not sure if it would just make the halves not bolt together tightly, or if it is enough to force the tire bead to shift out of center on the rim (I wouldn't expect it to, but like I said, I have no idea what it would actually do)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that they say the bead lock rings are tire specific, because unlike the rubber military ones, the PVC ones have zero give to them, so if the size isn't perfect, it can cause issues when you are tightening down the wheel halves. Not sure if it would just make the halves not bolt together tightly, or if it is enough to force the tire bead to shift out of center on the rim (I wouldn't expect it to, but like I said, I have no idea what it would actually do)
The problem is I just looked at the DuraVee that has the tires (BFG) and rims I specified when I ordered those TWF bead locks and see the same issue.
Most would never know they had a problem as it does not show up unless you are going over 70MPH

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have decided to pull all the beadlocks, it is obvious they are interfering with the beads on the tires.
IF I had a table saw or access to a table saw I could probably do a decent job of cutting them down, but since I do not that is a moot point.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there they are,, 5 mounted Petlas tires minus the beadlocks.
I wish I had taken some pics or a video of filling the gap between the tire and rim with tire soap to seat the beads, I had to fill about 1 1/2" amazing how that stuff works.
It will probably be Tue before I can get them to town and have them balanced.
The heat index is 102, I have had enough of mounting/dismounting tires I'm gunna take a nap!.
IMG_20240512_141630495.jpg

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there they are,, 5 mounted Petlas tires minus the beadlocks.
I wish I had taken some pics or a video of filling the gap between the tire and rim with tire soap to seat the beads, I had to fill about 1 1/2" amazing how that stuff works.
It will probably be Tue before I can get them to town and have them balanced.
The heat index is 102, I have had enough of mounting/dismounting tires I'm gunna take a nap!.
View attachment 923228
You could try balancing beads, i have had luck with them vs regular balancing weights as the later fall off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could try balancing beads, i have had luck with them vs regular balancing weights as the later fall off.
I have Centramatics but want to get an idea what I have to begin with, I have never had issues with weights falling off.
I did try balancing liquid once and that was a total disaster :(

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had Les Schwab balance mine, one was 9 oz off.
They didn't get the clip on weights on very good; I went over all the exterior ones later after I lost one weight and clamped them down tighter. Haven't lost any more. The Centramatics keep everything in balance at speed, so mostly I just wanted to get them somewhat close when I did mine.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally got the chance to take the tires into Beeville to get balanced.
It was raining today and the other days this week were just too nice not to drive the DuraVee around.
So three tires came in under 5OZ and two were over 15OZ, the best one as far as weight and the visual appearance for radial runout was the one that was not mounted with the beadlocks first, so I may have skewed the results by damaging the tires with the beadlocks, otherwise I would say I was not impressed at this point.
I will get them mounted on the truck and test them in a few days but am not too hopeful they will perform well :(