• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMAT vs. M345 vs. M1076 trailers

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need advise on a heavy trailer that would be towed primarily by a M916 tractor. Needs to be heavier than a 5-ton equipment trailer, like a M1061, but not a fifth-wheel hitch trailer. I came up with three possible choices, the older M345 10-ton flatbed, the HEMAT ammo trailer for the HEMTT, or the M1076 PLS trailer. The latter would have to be turned into a flat deck trailer, but you get the idea. This would be to haul a deuce or smaller truck on.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the buyer also owns a M813A1 cargo truck, and he wants one trailer to use with different trucks. However, most OTR hauling would be done with the M916.

AMGeneral

Ok,just curious if you had snagged a 916 recently without us knowing.

The HEMAT sounds and looks like it would be the best choice so far,M345s are getting somewhat scarce,that 54 inch deck height is a problem as well.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me, if I had more money right now, a 916 would be a neat addition to the collection. Plus, if I acquired anything new, you guys would be the first to know. ;)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok,just curious if you had snagged a 916 recently without us knowing.

The HEMAT sounds and looks like it would be the best choice so far,M345s are getting somewhat scarce,that 54 inch deck height is a problem as well.

A stock HEMAT weighs about the same as a M345. If you built a deck to cover it's wheelbase it would only be 19.5 feet. The deck height at the rear of the HEMAT is 57".

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm,that was not the trailer I was thinking of 11 Echo, I was thinking of a M989 ammo trailer evidently.

http://www.easternsurplus.net/images/538/538b.JPG
The HEMAT M989A1 is an ammo trailer.

The trailer you are referring to is also a M989, not a HEMAT version as mentioned in your post.
The deck is about 17', around 6' shorter than the M345 and About 3k lighter in weight.
Two of those sold on GL back in April. One for $1357 and the other for $1200.

An M345 could be lowered some by changing the stock 1100's to 900's or maybe get some low pro 19.5's for it.

M1075

I don't think you are going to be able to haul a deuce easily on any of those trailers. I would go with a civilian equipment trailer instead.

Stalwart

I don't think you are going to be able to haul a deuce easily on any of those trailers. I would go with a civilian equipment trailer instead.
That's what I did and a civilian tow vehicle as well, the civilian stuff is more reliable and has a LOT more power. I prefer to keep the mileage down on the MV's.

Mine helping out a new friend I met here on SS.

I have considered getting a HEMAT to haul the Scorpion behind the HEMTT, but other than that, I use the civilian trailer.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lowboy section of the HEMAT is slighty larger than an MLRS rocket pod. We had the trailers, but no MLRS', so we used the HEMATs for litterally, Garbage trailers.. Most units used them for the same purpose.... Other than that, they were rather useless as trailers, unless you were in an MLRS unit.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what the "lowboy" section of the HEMAT trailer, what the floor space dimensions are?

176 inches x 96 wide, the deck floor width might be 92" with drop sides up.

Your welcome!

Last edited:

M1075

My ... post was to edit a post where I thought you incorrectly stated M1076 in your post with the M345 picture. Or, you edited yours. Either way, I edited mine, but do agree both trailers are too much trailer for a deuce!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks