• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you remove and clean fuse box?

math1960

I need to change out some fuses that seem to be rusted to the box. This box could sure use a cleaning. What's the best way to proceed with out screwing anything up.

Atwater

well for starters disconnect batteries :mrgreen:
id suggest taking a lot of pics and label everything.
honestly having never removed the entire thing, off the top of my head all i can suggest is the above basics2cents

OL AG '89

The fuses plug into brass fittings...... brass doesn't rust.....
Get some ZEP electic aerosol spray and soak the fuse block.

FIRST unhook all power sources in truck......

Use an old toothbrush and clean all connections for fuses.
Last resort is replacing fuseblock, LOTS of work!!!! vehicle out of commission for a while....

idM1028

Somebody posted a good thread about using street sweeper bristles that his daughters always bring to him to clean electrical connections. Believe he wrapped the ends in sandpaper. Looked like it was the size of a dipstick. If you can't get the actual bristles, might want to run to the the local pick-n-pull and grab you some Ford dipsticks rofl
By the way, like the avatar. I'm from around Offutt AFB (home of SAC). I believe SAC policy is "Nuke the s*** outta them."

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of fuses they are. But if they are glass fuses buy a circuit breaker. The circuit breaker has a raised center that makes a good handle. Pull the fuses. put valve lapping compound on the ends of the circuit breaker, insert into the fuse holder and rotate it up and down. after the contacts have all been polished rinse with an electrical cleaner or brake clean. Then spray down with WD40 or simmar oil and install fuses.

There is one more method that car restorers use. They remove the fuse boxes and dunk it in acid. let it sit for a few minutes and pressure wash it off. it works very well but involves pulling the fuse box. depending on the location you may be able to apply the acid only to the contacts and hose it off in the truck then neutralize everything with a baking soda and water bath and rinse. Don't forget the WD40 it will keep the corrosion from coming back

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks