• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flipping headlights

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the manual, the deuce w/o a winch has its headlights in the lower location and the BO driving light in the upper.
Does anybody have a deuce with the lights arranged like that?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are THE detective, who else would have noticed that in that picture!
I am thinking of flipping mine, but you are right, without the extra hole, the BO light ends up high on the right.
BTW, the -10 manual is dated Feb 1965.

Opie

My truck was manufactured as a M35A2 WO/W in 1971 and is set up with headlights in the lower holes, BO light in the upper driver's side and what I guess is a horn in the upper co-driver's side. (At some point someone installed two-tone air horn trumpets under the hood.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, do you want me to see if I can get that panel for the right ( I said left before) side headlight? The guy in Ft Laud might have one. I'll check anyway and see. If he's got one I'll bring it to Aberdeen.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's not too much trouble, Kenny. Thanks!
I was thinking that if you have a source for 11.00-20 NDCC's perhaps we can work out a trade for the M756 decking. I'm not interested in retreads and should be 90% or better.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me check with St Lucie tire. If they've got some, I'll see what I can get. I can pick these up on the way up too. I'll check on the headlight door too!

Dieselsmoke

I've had trucks set up with the lights both ways, but most every one I see now has the headlights mounted up high.

Desert Rat

Kenny,
Astute observation! Yep I switched the lights because I wanted to see a little further at night. It may not seem like a big change. However, I can see about 15 to 20 feet further. At night this does make a difference in reaction time and braking distance to dead stop. I'll take every inch I can get my hands on, especially at night.

Pappa-G

Mine were on the bottom and I flipped them for better lighting. Recently I bought a set of 7" round lights that take a H4 bulb. The difference was so great I returned the headlights to thier original position. ~ Pappa-G [2cents]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, no luck on the headlight doors. He had a gasser with low mounted headlights and the panels are completley different. They actually have a plate on the front side of the panel thats unbloted and reversed. I'll check a few other sources but he was my best chance!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's ok, Kenny, not important. If I go ahead and flip them, it's probably not too much trouble to modify the old ones.
The main reason for wanting to flip them in the first place is to try to reduce the number of oncoming traffic headlight flashes (country roads, not the interstate hwy's). The lights are aligned as per instructions in the -20 manual, so I keep thinking that they are just too high.

jimm1009

I found this old thread and was wondering about the guys have installed H4 head lights.

I don not have the winch installed yet but I beleive that it would be advantageous to have the head lights in the lower position when converting to H4 head lights. One concern is the addition of the winch with lower head lights as the military did see fit to raise them for winch equipped truck and then just raised all of them. This was with old sealed beams of course.
H4 beams are so precisly focused that I would speculate that they would provide better illumination there in the lower spot.
My 1972 M35A2C had the head lgihts in the higher postion as standard production design.

From the guys that have lower head lights that are of H4 design or those that have flipped and perhaps flipped back I would like to hear from you.

Perhaps e-mail would be better that stringing this thread out two or three more pages.
Thanks in advance. Jim aka, jimm1009 here on S.S.
or e-mail me; jimm1009@yahoo.com

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the H4 lights make a difference being lower. The problem is when you extend the bumper out a foot when installing a winch, the bumper blocks the light and needs to be in the upper position.[thumbzup]

saddamsnightmare

March 21st, 2010.

Cranetruck & Co.:

" Saddam's Nightmare" in the icon annexed is a June, 1971 Kaiser Jeep Wo/W and it has the headlights mounted up high, the blackout light hole in the usual spot on the left, and no horn hole on the right. So, it seems my truck is different from Opie's above (maybe different manufactures were using up excess older stampings). The built date was confirmed both by Carnac, David Doyle's contract information on the deuces and the fact that Jeep was to take over in July or August 1971 from Kaiser Jeep, and the cast date on the engine squares remarkably well with the built date on the truck, allowing for cooling/seasoning and machining & assembly times.

Just curious, let's see where this thread goes......

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

jimm1009

So for the owners with the H4 lights I assume that the upper postion is just fine for you guys (& gals)? You see a big difference when they are that high off the ground? I have been using them for 15 years or so in my M1009 and my son's CJ-7 and I love them.
Still waiting for my bulbs to come in so I have done yet installed the H4 headlamps.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks