• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803A droop adjust screw?

Waterhouse

Take the hard line on the problem cylinder, off the metering pump and see if its pumping fuel while running. If it is, as Ray points out, look to the injector next. That can also be tested installed, but removed from the head with the hard still attached.

You will want to figure out what isnt wrong with that jug first before throwing money at it.
If you read my post #56, that was the first thing I did and it was spraying fuel all over. What I don’t get, is you seem to be suggesting the injector is not fueling the cylinder. It is over fueling it, so I don’t get the purpose of your test.

Ray70

The purpose of the test is to see if the injector is over fueling the cylinder.
The metering pump does not deliver just the amount of fuel required for each power stroke.
The injector opens at about 3000 PSI, sprays 1 fine mist of fuel then closes once the pressure drops below 3000 PSI. , the remainder of the fuel goes up through the body of the injector and back through the return line.
If the injector is stuck open or leaking it will definitely deliver way too much fuel than that cylinder is supposed to get, and it won't be atomized, it will be more of a drip AND the fuel will not be delivered at the correct moment.
The metering pumps and injector volume and timing are all set with the assumption that the injector needs 3000 Psi to open and close. Anything else will result in incorrect fuel delivery.

Waterhouse

The purpose of the test is to see if the injector is over fueling the cylinder.
The metering pump does not deliver just the amount of fuel required for each power stroke.
The injector opens at about 3000 PSI, sprays 1 fine mist of fuel then closes once the pressure drops below 3000 PSI. , the remainder of the fuel goes up through the body of the injector and back through the return line.
If the injector is stuck open or leaking it will definitely deliver way too much fuel than that cylinder is supposed to get, and it won't be atomized, it will be more of a drip AND the fuel will not be delivered at the correct moment.
The metering pumps and injector volume and timing are all set with the assumption that the injector needs 3000 Psi to open and close. Anything else will result in incorrect fuel delivery.
Ok, that sounds possible. I hope you’re right. I’m sure an injector is less money than a pump.

Let me ask you this. Does the pin in the governor rack shut the fuel off completely? It would appear so since that seems to be the way it shuts down. That Might explain why it took so long to shut down in if that one injector took awhile to go dry.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I guess I got to figure out how to pull an injector. Can that be done without removing the entire case?

Ray70

Yes, the pin in the metering pump shuts off the fuel completely when the rack rotates it fully, that is how the machine shuts down.
You will need to pull the cover off to remove the injector.
If you have trouble getting the injector out, the thread on the top is metric, same as some lug nuts. I think it's 12mm if I recall.
In the past I've threaded lug nuts on upside down and used a slide hammer with a flat hook to pull up on the lug nut to remove stubborn injectors.

2Pbfeet

I have seen poor injection caused by residual air in a fuel line; as @Ray70 points out the fuel regulation and injection is dependent upon the fuel in the line to the injector being incompressible to deliver fuel to the injector. If the air is trapped there, the pressure pulses, but never gets to a high enough pressure to inject. Some engines (injection pumps) are better than others at flushing air out.

After re-reading @Waterhouse's posts, it is not clear to me that the injectors have ever been tested to see if they function. That would be my next step.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Waterhouse

I have seen poor injection caused by residual air in a fuel line; as @Ray70 points out the fuel regulation and injection is dependent upon the fuel in the line to the injector being incompressible to deliver fuel to the injector. If the air is trapped there, the pressure pulses, but never gets to a high enough pressure to inject. Some engines (injection pumps) are better than others at flushing air out.

After re-reading @Waterhouse's posts, it is not clear to me that the injectors have ever been tested to see if they function. That would be my next step.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
No, I have never had the injectors or pumps tested. (Other than cracking the hard line and spraying fuel.)

Ray70

Pull the top cover and get the injector(s) out. Reattach the hard line by moving the line off to the side. You should have 4 finely atomized mists of fuel spraying radially out from the tip of each injector as you crank it over. You will probably need to bleed out any air in the lines if you disconnect both ends. ( note, you can't use the dead crank switch to crank it unless you disconnect or manually retract the fuel solenoid.)
Any dripping, squirting or stream of fuel coming out means you have a problem.