• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 and Radio Mount

M1075

First off, let me say that I am a truly ignorant when it comes to military radios and I don't know the lingo. This M818 has a mount under the bed and a rear mast for an antenna. Are these common to you radio guys? I would like to get an antenna just to mount up for grins, but probably won't use the mount under the seat. What do I need to look for?

How common are the radios in a motorpool or convoy? Is it unusual to have one in a tractor truck?

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you finally get you a M818? I haven't seen an 818 with a mast like that before. I have seen a couple of 813A1's, an 817 and an 816 with the under-seat mount.

ONTOS66

The mount that you have is for the SINCGARS family of radios.

Check out this link, it will give you a better idea of what you have:

www.gordon.army.mil/sigbde15/25u/25u10/25u1CTDF/25u12/25u12h05.ppt

Since it is current communications equipment it is difficult / expensive. The antenna elements are available from various sources if you just want to "dress it up a bit."

These radios use frequencies that are "off limits" to most radio operators. A short section of the 50 MHZ band is available for amateur radio operator use - but requires a license to operate.