• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 engine and transmission swap

gtown_hummer

Hi Gentlemen,

I am new here on the site and am looking for some advice regarding my recent purchase of a 1987 M998. First thing I would like to do is to make it go faster, not as noisy and able to tow. It currently has the original 6.2 engine with 3-spd. What did you do to your M998 to get it to go faster and a little quieter? If you are here in central TX, did you have someone local do the work for you?

TIA,
James

papakb

If you go to the HMMWV forum here on Steel Soldiers there are quite a few postings about swapping out the 6.2s for either another 6.2 or the full 6.5/4L80E swap. The 6.5/4L80 swap will give you lower noise levels on the road but is quite a bit more involved. Drive shafts need to be lengtheded and shortened and a new transmission mount needs to be installed along with a front wiring harness to communicate with the 4L80 transmission.

Take a look here: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=221765

Last edited: