• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New2Me 1961 M37

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What can happen with ignition coils is that the copper windings inside can have good continuity, but the insulation has broken down, allowing the high voltage to jump to ground inside. A multimeter does not have sufficient voltage to test for this breakdown. You would need an expensive instrument called a “megger”.

Txsrooster

What can happen with ignition coils is that the copper windings inside can have good continuity, but the insulation has broken down, allowing the high voltage to jump to ground inside. A multimeter does not have sufficient voltage to test for this breakdown. You would need an expensive instrument called a “megger”.
I'll bring it into work and have the electricians megger it...thanks for the tip.

John Mc

YEs. An ohmmeter might tell you that a coil is bad, but it can't tell you whether it's good.

Txsrooster

Ok quick question. When shifting from 1st to 2nd there is no issue, but going from 2 to 3rd it bogs the engine down pretty hard. Any suggestions on what can to look at to see why? Granted I haven't gotten her onto the road much more than turning around, so haven't tried 4th gear yet.

Redleg130

I am not a mechanic, but this is what I would start with

Compression test at some point, but maybe you don't have enough speed going from 2nd to 3rd? These trucks are a bit finicky, took me a bit to get used to shifting them (hopefully) appropriately.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck should get to rippin' in all gears. Lots of possibilities: carb issues, ignition timing, engine missing, brakes dragging, low tire pressure ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks