• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pictures of Barstow Truck Parts

Jones

Here's a few shots for you guys to enjoy that I took while in Barstow.

Attachments

Jones

Neat place to visit but I'd suggest a spring road trip as Barstow is high desert which means HOT. It was 100AM and 100+degrees when these pictures were taken. Check in at the main yard office, see James and tell him what you're interested in and he'll usually turn you loose to tour the yard. Dress, act and be safe as it's a full-time salvage operation and there's always BIG equipment moving around and lots of heat and sparks when they're cutting or melting.
Barstow Truck's main yard is in town is ia possibly 1/8 mile square, give or take. They have a second storage yard outside of town that's at least as big or a little bigger.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
This place has ALOT of good stuff. The prices are pretty good but their customer service is pretty bad depending on what mood the owner is in. I called ahead to get 2 windshields for my duece and offered to pay for them over the phone and have them sitting ready for me to pick up. The owner or manager said to just come on down and pay for them when I get there. I drove 2 hrs out there, picked up my duece from Barstow Logistics base with out windshields. Drove straight over to Barstow equipment to pick up the windshields only to wait 45 minutes for the guy to come over to the office to tell me he was too busy to remove them from another truck. After I explained to him I had a 2 hr drive home and needed the windhields I had already been told they had, he got pissed off at me then said he didnt have any that were'nt broken and sent me packing. I was pretty upset to say the least so I went across the steet to the hardware store and bought a piece of plexiglass and duct taped it on the drivers side. I'm sure the guy was having a bad day but that was just bad business to do to a customer. But they have good prices on take off stuff so I will probably go back if I need a big part.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ol' Jimmy Rachek is a piece of work. He owns BTP. I have dealt with him for years, and at least he is always the same.

Still, he is a gentleman most of the time, and that is much better than the constant curmudgeon Jack Martin in Tucson.

dg

Dieselsmoke

BTP is an awesome place. Jones is right, winter trips are best down there, even still it gets warm. Don't forget about the SNAKES! For a long time they really didn't even want to deal with us collectors, but seems they are figuring out that we're a good source of income. Like DJfreema said their customer serivce can be bad, it's like they have better things to do than to help us out. I'd love to camp out there and just drool :)

m.walker

I stopped in once on the way to L.A. , and was told unless its a big ticket item ( engine , transmission , axle ) they are too busy to take off small parts ( even though he wasn't doing a damn thing !!! ) . They won't let you take them off either ! I asked the guy what about the rest of the truck , he says it gets scrapped ! The guy was a real a**hole , even if they changed there policy I wouldn't buy from them . It's sad some parts for these trucks are getting harder to come by and these guys are shredding them !

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This doesn’t surprise me at all! The owner, Jim Rajacich is the only one who cuts the cake but often he’s out for the day. You will have to deal with him directly if you want “decent” prices. His manager, Gordon Kruse seems to have a bad day every day and either doesn’t know the price or starts asking twice as much as the owner wants!
When I was there in august 2005, it was my intention to buy a container load full of stuff. But after looking at what they have (mostly leftovers from what they used to have 10 years ago, everything sitting outside and rotting away!) and after hearing prices I knew I wouldn’t even need a pickup truck! The first day the manager took me to their backyard, a huge area full of scrap, old deuces, 5tons, cranes, transmissions, rabbits, no snakes, everything. Yes, the few remaining windshields were broken and/or pure rust and most trucks where already missing parts! If I wanted any I had to pick them by myself, no workers to help! So I bought some basic hand tools and spent that afternoon trying to enjoy that “kid in the candy store” feeling at 107F!!!, looking for some inner windshields, wiper motor, steering wheels, turn signal switch, instruments, sender units, lamps, mirrors, etc. Next day Jim was back in his office. He got really upset when he heard that I had been pulling parts. “I’m not selling anything from over there, I need that for myself when somebody orders a complete truck”(!!!)
All I took back home from 3 days at Barstow’s was a rebuilt tranny, some rusty 5ton steering pumps and a dozen NOS differential carrier gear sets…, in the trunk of the car!

Luckily I found a good place with very nice people, downtown LA, where I did fill a container! Ask for Jamey at www.victorygse.com

Gerhard