• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So... this happened today....

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Indeed. I looked at my options and none of them were where I wanted to spend yesterday and the wrecker was a much better value of time/money/effort. No sense spending a day self recovering when I'm literally in my back yard!
Pretty amazing that they even rolled from their yard to yours for a single dead president.

I love the chrome and flashing lights and strobes and gold metal flake and pinstripes, but I don't think they even crank their rotators - much less engaging the PTO on our local large wreckers for less than a grand. Guess that happens in the big city...

Grover Cleveland.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty amazing that they even rolled from their yard to yours for a single dead president.

I love the chrome and flashing lights and strobes and gold metal flake and pinstripes, but I don't think they even crank their rotators - much less engaging the PTO on our local large wreckers for less than a grand. Guess that happens in the big city...

View attachment 860390
He was a local guy who owns his own shop. I'm lucky to live in a small community where pretty much everyone knows everyone else.

He was also embarrassed that his truck ended up sliding all over my yard trying to winch me out... 🤣😆😁

nayrbrellim

A buddy of mine has a hydraulic winch from a HMMV he said he will probably work a deal out with me on.
I have the 20k# winch on my bobbed 5 ton and I absolutely love it, i pulled my mother in laws chevy truck sideways through the mud on the lower part of our cleared property with it to get her unstuck, i also used it to drag a 40' storage container flat on the ground through the woods and get it into palce to be my shed/workshop.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I once had to dig under my truck from front to back, under the axles, to make a path for my winch cable.

From there I hooked it to a giant motorhome, it's driver kind enough to help me get out of the Fallon, NV mud flats.

Talk about ruined clothes...

DG
Wow. I guess having a pair (or two or three) sets of coveralls in a zip-lock bag just in case you ever need to get back in the cab of your MV.

The question that I always have is - WHY drivers don't stop - rather than keep churning and burning until the axles are sitting on the ground or worse? Best I have been able to figure is that it's a 6x6 and it aughta be tough and able to chew through anything...

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was sitting still on the edge of the flats after just getting the front stuck. The rest of the truck just sank by itself, a hopeless situation.

The reason was I spied some MV's about a half mile off, and wanted to get a closer look. Bad idea.

If anyone knows the Fallon Mud Flats, you know what I mean. "Quick Mud".

DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was sitting still on the edge of the flats after just getting the front stuck. The rest of the truck just sank by itself, a hopeless situation.

The reason was I spied some MV's about a half mile off, and wanted to get a closer look. Bad idea.

If anyone knows the Fallon Mud Flats, you know what I mean. "Quick Mud".

DG
Never been to Fallon, but I could imagine the miserable feeling if the truck just started sinking down into a bog...

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I guess having a pair (or two or three) sets of coveralls in a zip-lock bag just in case you ever need to get back in the cab of your MV.

The question that I always have is - WHY drivers don't stop - rather than keep churning and burning until the axles are sitting on the ground or worse? Best I have been able to figure is that it's a 6x6 and it aughta be tough and able to chew through anything...
Mine wasn't quite so deep as the pics when I got stuck. The burying happened when I had hooked up both of my 4x4s and was trying to get it out without calling a wrecker. Once she buried, I shut it down and made the call.