• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continue turning the engine without removing the engine - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 Diesel - Solved

Elektroman99

Dear gentleman,
Dear CUCV Community,

I have a simple question and I must admit that I have not searched the TM forums and posts about the M1009. I hope someone can answer this question quickly.

I would like to turn the starter ring gear further, what is the best way to do this?

Background:
I am still having problems with my starter motor as both batteries have “quit” on me. One was now simply flat, the other was defective and had already formed “acid-salt” crystals on the negative terminal.

In short, there have been several attempts to start the engine. I now want to keep turning the starter ring gear, but how do I do this with the whole engine still installed? When I turn the fan wheel, do I also turn the engine minimally?

Can I turn the engine in another way without dismantling it on a large scale?

Best regards
Elektroman99

Last edited:

Elektroman99

Hello dear CUCV community,
can someone describe this to me in more detail and possibly explain with one or two photos where to put which key in order to turn the engine further?
It's difficult for me to imagine, as I don't have much space behind the engine to "turn the engine further"?

Best regards
Elektroman99

nyoffroad

I assume you want to turn the engine over by hand to keep it from seizing up? A couple ways to do this, one I talked about above, using a socket wrench on the harmonic balancer pully bolt. I'm not a fan of doing that as I've always been afraid of breaking or stripping the bolt if the engine is seized up already.
My preferred way would be to use a 'fly wheel turning tool ' available at many auto parts stores, with this tool crawl under the truck and remove the torque converter access cover and then use the tool to turn the flywheel.
If this truck is going to be sitting a long time without being started, why not pull all 8 glow plugs and spray some oil in there? I know it will mostly be in the precombustion chamber, but gravity will take over and the oil will seep down onto the piston rings. Leave the glow plugs loose so it's easy to oil every couple months. When the time comes to start it, pull the plugs out and spin the engine over to clear the cylinders, then replace the plugs and fire it up!

Elektroman99

Hello everyone,
I don't want to give the wrong impression. I don't think the engine is stuck. No water has gotten into the combustion chambers and the last time the engine ran normally was in August 2023.

However, I had read that when the engine is "switched off", the starter ring gear often remains in the same place and therefore the starter motor also grips the same teeth of the starter ring gear. I only wanted to turn the starter ring gear a little further.
That's also the reason why I'm looking for a way to "further derive" the engine without dismantling large parts of the engine or the engine itself.

I am still at the very beginning with my experiences on the CUCV and the M1009 with the 6.2l diesel. For this reason, where is the harmonic balancer pully bolt and the screw you mentioned located? Can someone take a photo and name the wrench size?

Best regards
Elektroman99

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone,
I don't want to give the wrong impression. I don't think the engine is stuck. No water has gotten into the combustion chambers and the last time the engine ran normally was in August 2023.

However, I had read that when the engine is "switched off", the starter ring gear often remains in the same place and therefore the starter motor also grips the same teeth of the starter ring gear. I only wanted to turn the starter ring gear a little further.
That's also the reason why I'm looking for a way to "further derive" the engine without dismantling large parts of the engine or the engine itself.

I am still at the very beginning with my experiences on the CUCV and the M1009 with the 6.2l diesel. For this reason, where is the harmonic balancer pully bolt and the screw you mentioned located? Can someone take a photo and name the wrench size?

Best regards
Elektroman99
Sure... It sorta springs itself onto the flywheel / flexplate.

1716470184704.png

Elektroman99

Hello,

I am not concerned with the function of the starter motor. I had read that the engine often stops in the same or a similar position when it is switched off.

In short, how can I keep the engine running without partially dismantling it?
The question is still open for me, it must be possible with standard tools.

Best regards
Elektroman99

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to turn the starter ring gear further, what is the best way to do this?
The question is still open for me, it must be possible with standard tools.
Sir, your question has been answered, already...(!)

Either turn the crank (CW) at the front bolt - which holds the pulley and damper in place (takes a 24mm socket & breaker bar), or at the flexplate ring gear, in any direction. That can be done with a large screwdriver as lever, or best with the tool shown in post #6.
Either way you will have to crawl underneath your vehicle.