• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002/003 Glow Plugs

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly how difficult is the removal on these things? I don't know if mine are working or not, but I have multiple sets of each for my 002, and was considering just putting new ones in because I can.

Wicked cold snap is due tonight (-20 with wind chill and 60mph gusts).. so doubtful its anything I would want to tackle after work... but as winter is finally starting to set in properly, I would be fool to not look into this now. Another 6 inches of snow with ice and rain are due over the weekend. Got me thinking :)

Any special tools required? Probably addressed in a TM, but I am at work and the topic crossed my mind.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be some good threads on this topic, and yeah it's covered nicely in the TMs.

cuad4u

Take the wire off each glow plug. Use a VOM (volt / ohm meter) and measure the resistance from the terminal to each glow plug to ground. If you get 5 ohms, the glow plug is good. If you get a higher resistance, the glow plug is bad.

jamawieb

Use a small torch to heat the area around the threads before you start. That will expand the metal to make it easier for the glow plugs to come out. Just be patient because you don't want one breaking off in the head.

Bill W

I just replaced #1 & 2 while I was doing yearly service on my 003a.
The very front one I had to work back and forth ( in/out ) with the ratchet as it was binding but it came out, #2 came right out. I will get back to #3 & 4 later as they seem to be a little more difficult to get at and I was running out of time. I did have to modify a oil seal tool/pick on my grinder to get out one of the copper washers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks