• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002 has the wrong model IP? Does this make sense?

Silverbulletsmith

Hi guys,

I brought home my "new" toy last week and have been fiddling with it since. After getting the fuel system cleaned out , I had high hopes.

Primed it up real nice to the IP and bled all the air, cracked the fittings at the injectors loose and hit the switch, and low and behold IT CRANKS!!
And cranks...
And cranks...
And cranks...
And cranks...
etc
but no smoke, no fuel to the injectors, no run, no nothin'.

Tried the "remove the delivery valve and tapping on the plunger" trick, still nothing to the injectors.

So I found the AMPAC "Model 50 Diesel Fuel Injection Pump" "Service instructions" and got it broke down on the bench.
When it became obvious that it was not coming apart exactly as the manual described, and a couple of the parts looked different than the exploded view illustrations, I started looking at what the heck I had. It would appear to be a different model pump than what belongs on that engine.

If I'm not mistaken, the model I should have is 50-2/A4-80A-9540A

The plate on my IP says PSU2/4A80E93 (obliterated digit)8AR

IP Plate.jpg

Any of you guys have any insight as to what I've got goin' on, and where I should go from here?

The pump's plunger has a sheared off pin that can perhaps be replaced, and some minor buggerage that can maybe be dressed up and gotten working again, but should I even fool with it?

Attachments

dependable

If the plunger shaft is broken, it is not easy fixed as it is mated with head, if it is just a pin, you may be able to fix if that is all that is wrong. Buggerage and metal shavings a bad sign though. If you replace the pump, pay attention to timing button thickness. There is good general info about this in the 002-003 WIKI.

storeman

The broken pin is a killer for that pump. Probably why the pump was redesigned. The pin is no longer available and is the most common failure point on that pump by far. You will have to replace the pump. PM on the way and you will likely get one from Gimpy also. Either of us can help you with the right information.
Jerry

Munchies

If nothing is coming out the boys are right. Worst case, yank it off. Taking it apart wont hurt anything. They are fairly simple devices. Dont see many of these left. I may have some parts, lets see whats broke. If not jerry has pumps as stated

storeman

Munchies,
As I understand it, he already tore it down. If you have the cross pin for the plunger shaft, that is what he needs. The small rectangle guide on it has sheared off. If you have any you are the world's source and I could use a few.
Jerry

Munchies

Yup missed that. I skim sometimes and shoot too fast. I dont think I have pins, does anyone have a broken one that is cleanly broken and not shattered? I can probably make some.

Last edited:

Munchies

I am doing genset work today. I will see if I can scrounge an old pump. I only have the mk2/m50's at this point. I have 3 m50's with cracks in the housing I am going to be attempting to silver solder(hi temp SS) today . Crap aluminum. NPT threads for the supply and return lines fall apart too.