• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 st time in the mud

obxairman

Took the beast to my buddies house and after 3 passes threw a very used wet whole I got stuck. After breaking 3 smaller chains i forked out 300 for a monster 50 feet chain the loader is his. Thank god it was there to help . I want to add a winch has anyone done it?I see a or what i think is a pto on the back of the rear axil. Has anyone done this > im thinking electric winch would be easier to install . It took a lot to get it stuck and i went threw it so slow back and forth a few times . Next time ill stay moving and have a better pace but i feel if im gonna play in the mud im gonna need a winch. It didnt take much once we got the large chain we turned the loader around and hooked to the rear clevis on each side and 1 good tug from the loader and the truck came right out. However i did break a air feed line to the right rear my tire went flat and i can see the line broke off ..Is this a big deal to fix . Do u have to romove the tire or split the rim to repair this fitting? to be more specific it the line that u see at the center area if the hub but the end i broke is where the air goes into the rim . it was dark when i got it out gonna take a photo of that soon and post it IMG_20141205_151744212_HDR.jpgIMG_20141205_151744212_HDR.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. Truck looks right at home in the mud. The U.S. is not a state, please fix that.

ThatXJGuy

Front winches came standard on many trucks and sometimes you can find the whole kit that comes with the frame extensions, PTO and shaft, winch, cable, etc. As far as a rear winch, that's up to you to figure out but I am sure there are many on SteelSoldiers that have done it. It is tough to find an electric winch with the capacity to pull one of these trucks out without breaking the bank. The output shaft on the rear axle is definitely not usable for a winch, it would have to be from either the transmission PTOs or a Transfercase PTO, or a hydraulic pump on either PTO

Jeepsinker

Also, if you are going to play in the mud you are going to have to do regular hub services which includes tearing down each wheel hub assembly, cleaning, and re packing with fresh grease. You don't want to lose a wheel on one of these trucks. It is a real pain and very expensive.

dawico

Looks like a good time. I took mine lightly off roading a while back. If I had that Cat handy I definitely would have had more fun in the mud. Even with three regular 4x4s I think it would have been a battle to get it out.

Enjoy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy.:cookoo:

While these vehicles were built to be off road tough the original owner had a lot more money for repairs than you do.

This is why my truck stays on the road.

I have everything you need to install a winch except the winch and frame extenders. PM if interested.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fun in the mud is good to remember as you pull all hubs and service all 12 wheel bearings. That fun memory may fade over the next couple days.

ke5eua

I remember getting stuck, twice. Don't want to do it again. If you know you are going to play in the mud, air down before hand. With the duals you can pull your self out using a make shift rear winch.

Definitely check your seals, especially the fronts where the boots are. The grit will eat up your bearings and cost you more money down the road vs a case of grease to just repack them.

Look at the recovery manual, lots of good info.

This is using the rear duals as a winch. Chain isn't very big. DOT chain, can't remember the size though. So far I've done this twice to get myself out, once in mud and once where I bottomed out the front in a ditch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBoHdbB5fKA

This is using a rope. Scared the wife pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhLIpA5KdnI

This was when I was bottomed out in the ditch, snapped the tow strap I used to buffer the shock load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXiXXZa4u4

Al Harvey

Good to hear that you got a chain that is large enough. Also glad no one got hurt or anything damaged when the other chains broke (I assume this since it wasn't mentioned). Make sure you do inspect your chain periodically for any stretching in the links. If you do get a winch for it, be sure to do some research on proper winching techniques. A snatch block or block and tackle is a really useful item to have, it reduces the load on your winch and makes recoveries a lot easier. Also make sure you keep something like a heavy blanket to put over your winch cable when winching. This will reduce the chances of a cable whipping back and hurting someone or breaking something in the event the cable brakes or what ever it is hooked to gives.

Please don't be offended if you already know this, just want to make sure and it's always good to have a reminder!

Coffey1 on here had just recently added an electric winch to rear of his 5 ton. Might want to hit him up for some pictures of his install if that's the route you want to go. Continue having fun, but don't forget to check your bearings.

obxairman

Good to hear that you got a chain that is large enough. Also glad no one got hurt or anything damaged when the other chains broke (I assume this since it wasn't mentioned). Make sure you do inspect your chain periodically for any stretching in the links. If you do get a winch for it, be sure to do some research on proper winching techniques. A snatch block or block and tackle is a really useful item to have, it reduces the load on your winch and makes recoveries a lot easier. Also make sure you keep something like a heavy blanket to put over your winch cable when winching. This will reduce the chances of a cable whipping back and hurting someone or breaking something in the event the cable brakes or what ever it is hooked to gives.

Please don't be offended if you already know this, just want to make sure and it's always good to have a reminder!

Coffey1 on here had just recently added an electric winch to rear of his 5 ton. Might want to hit him up for some pictures of his install if that's the route you want to go. Continue having fun, but don't forget to check your bearings.
First let me say thanks to all you for you advice. I am having some trouble learing how to search this site on how to service the wheels . iv seen several suggestions on doing this so clearly its important but not sure how to do it . I do want a winch and snatch block. I was thinking i may need to install a box in the bed to keep my chains and extras. Had I had these items in the side boxes I would not have access to them . I do own a shop and I have tools I just need to learn on the how to do things on this truck. But i can tell you We love this truck. My 16 year old drives to school on occasion and its sits out front of my HVAC business and it gets tons of attention. I did break a air line to the rear wheel and i dont think thats a big deal. But if anyone doesnt mind posting a link to wheel or bearing service Id be great full thanks so much for all of your input!!!!!!!!!!
I

Last edited:

ke5eua

First let me say thanks to all you for you advice. I am having some trouble learing how to search this site on how to service the wheels . iv seen several suggestions on doing this so clearly its important but not sure how to do it . I do want a winch and snatch block. I was thinking i may need to install a box in the bed to keep my chains and extras. Had I had these items in the side boxes I would not have access to them . I do own a shop and I have tools I just need to learn on the how to do things on this truck. But i can tell you We love this truck. My 16 year old drives to school on occasion and its sits out front of my HVAC business and it gets tons of attention. I did break a air line to the rear wheel and i dont think thats a big deal. But if anyone doesnt mind posting a link to wheel or bearing service Id be great full thanks so much for all of your input!!!!!!!!!!
I
I keep all my chains in the side box on the drivers side. If knee deep in mud it doesn't really matter at that point anymore.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheel bearing service should be in the -20 or -24 level TM.

Will look for link to a good thread next.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not find a step by step thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks