• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 weight oil???

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Whats 10 weight oil used for? A buddy of mine at an Armory has GALLONS of the stuff, and no idea why. An ordering mistake, or??????????

Sarge

As you can see from the TM page that Cranetruck posted, 10 weight oil has several applications.
It can be used as hydraulic oil, engine oil, transmission oil, power steering oil and even more applications.
In the OLD days, we used straight 10 weight oil in Deuce engines when the temperatures were consistantly under the freezing point. When the temperatures were consistantly above freezing, we used straight 30 weight. Nowadays, oil has come a long way and we typically use 15W-40 in deuces, regardless of what the TM says.
We also normally use oil in the 80W-90 range in the deuce transmission, but there are a lot of old transmissions that use straight 10 weight. I have a 10 ton truck with a ZF (German) transmission that requires straight 10 weight oil regardless of temperature. Probably because the manual transmission, transfer case and the torque converter share a common oil bath. That is correct, it is a manual transmission with a torque converter. Weird, huh? It takes some learning to shift it correctly. I buy my straight 10 weight oil from Tractor Supply. Does anyone have another source of supply? If I was in NY, I would buy ALL of what he has, an oil change on my tranny takes 12 gallons!
I used to use 10 weight in my crane hydraulics, but straight tractor hydraulic oil is cheaper in 5 gallon buckets, it works just as well, so now I use that. Tractor hydraulic oil is NOT a suitable substitute for use in an engine or transmission that requires 10 weight engine oil. If I'm wrong on this one, don't be shy, go ahead and contradict me. I may be an old fart, but I'm young enough to learn new tricks!
Believe me, I've learned a hell of a lot reading stuff on Steel Soldiers, it is a fantastic resource.
I trust the posts from a lot of you guys, especially when I know which equipment you own and work on. Except for posts by M813RC, he hasn't got a clue. I'm stoned (legally), that was a joke, forgive me Rory!
M813RC is a VERY good friend!
I'm blathering so it's time for me to shut up.
-Sarge

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge said:
As you .....Tractor hydraulic oil is NOT a suitable substitute for use in an engine or transmission that requires 10 weight engine oil....
Tractor hydraulic oil has the same viscocity as 10 weight engine oil and meets the spec called out by GM (from reading labels at least).
Got some destined for my 8x8 Allison transmission...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got up here in the late 60's, I tried using 10w oil. The engines would of course, start easy, but once they were running, they would rattle a lot, with lower oil pressure. It made me nervous. Once they get to running, its "summer time" in the crank case. I would use 20w or even 30w, but just put enough heat on the engine till when you pulled the dip stick, the oil would drip off it - then your good to go, reguardless of the temperature. I have an old International owners manual that gives a formula for adding kerosene to engine oil & gear lube, to thin it for arctic conditions. Lubricants have come a long way since then.

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic oil labeled AW32 may be misleading, it actually has a viscosity of about 10 when compared to engine oils, not 32....

Lee, about your statement, "Once they get to running, its "summer time" in the crank case. I would use 20w or even 30w, but just put enough heat on the engine till when you pulled the dip stick, the oil would drip off it - .."

I agree and that's my goal for Winter operation also, using a quality 30 weight oil and warming it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys,

Thansk for the answers, however, there is none for sale, I was just tyring to help him figure out why he had gallons of it on his shelves...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are on oil and I need 72 gallons for my wrecker, Sam's has AW46, can anyone compare this to the 10 wt.oil I need for my crane?
THanks,
James G.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you end up with extra money get a few cubies of restaurant fryer oil, good fuel for your multifuel engine. :)
No filtering required, just add it to the diesel up to 20% or so in the Summer time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks