• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 1028 ID

sowchinook1

just wondering if there is any way to tell the difference between 1008 and 1028s without checking id plates just by looking at them from the outside. Assuming they both have a regular pickup bed on them. the overload springs are a clue but kind of hard to see from afar. Do the D60 axles look exactly the same?

AJMBLAZER

Really no unless the 1028 has been converted to a dually or has the stuff for the various large radio and what not boxes in the bed.

Both are just a Chevy K30 and the 1008 has standard springs while the 1028 has the highest GVWR springs GM had for it.

So basically learn the difference between a NP205 and NP208 and figure out which springs are in which truck.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
AJMBLAZER said:
Really no unless the 1028 has been converted to a dually or has the stuff for the various large radio and what not boxes in the bed.

Both are just a Chevy K30 and the 1008 has standard springs while the 1028 has the highest GVWR springs GM had for it.

So basically learn the difference between a NP205 and NP208 and figure out which springs are in which truck.
And then throw in the 1028 that has a NP208..... NSN ends in 5077.....ack

sowchinook1

so the 1028s have heavier springs? I thought they just used an overload spring setup. Do they actually use heavier springs or just more springs than a 1008?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the NSN and GVW on the data plate and hope nobody did any fancy axle switching. The overload springs are your best bet. It's a lot of work to put those on another truck. The rest of the spring pack is the same.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CCATLETT1984 said:
the m1028 also has a limited slip (traction aid) in the front axle, whereas the m1008 does not.
True, but this a little harder to tell from the outside, just by looking, unless the posi tag is still on the axle, which isn't always the case. And, if it is, it is usally hard to find through the grime...

AJMBLAZER

sowchinook1 said:
so the 1028s have heavier springs? I thought they just used an overload spring setup. Do they actually use heavier springs or just more springs than a 1008?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I read it the M1008's have the standard high GVWR springs of a Chevy K30. The M1028's are setup as GM would have shipped a truck ordered with the very highest GVWR possible (snow plow, tow package, camper package, etc) and has the highest GVWR springs and that either means heavier rated springs and the overloads or the standard springs + overloads. I don't know which is which other than to say, "the 1028's got the highest GVWR spring configuration GM had."

CCATLETT1984 said:
the m1028 also has a limited slip (traction aid) in the front axle, whereas the m1008 does not.
Yeah but there's nothing to visibly tell them that's there unless they see it in action and lord knows how confusing that can be.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the time these CUCV pickups were made the standard civilian K30 was rated at 9200 for the SRW models. This did not include the optional Z76 Commercial Chassis Equipment which consisted of F58 HD front stabilizer bar, rear stabilizer & G60 rear main & auxillary springs. I think the Z81, and Z83 Camper Special Equipment also was still an option for the standard model.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks