• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 axles to 1009?

msoumas

How much work is involved in a swap like this? How hard would it be to change the gearing back to what I had in the 1009 axles? Am I looking to have my cake and eat it too on this one?

Westech

CPL
well gears and set up kit around 300 ish or more per axle, u bolts for the axles about 10 bucks each, dont know if the u joints are the same, but I know they make u joints to go from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axles so that not a problem (30 each) fluid about 6 quarts at least (5 bucks each) and thats saying all the bearings and seals brakes, ect are ready to roll. I mean you can do it no problem, but why go to a heavy axle and put the same gears in it? kinda like trimming a dead tree. your not going to brake the axles that are in there with stock size tires and good driving. But if you were to lift it and put some larger tires then go for it. But I would think that the weight of the larger axles would hinder the MPG's even with stock gearing (3.08's)

IRWFO

The Blazers biggest down fall is it's 3.08's. If you ever have a plan for 36's I would stick with the 4.56 ratio. Stock tires you would be better off with 3.73 or 4.10

tourdog

well you also have to change the spring hangers the one ton spring pads are closer together than the blazer .you will have to grind off the hangers off the frame of the truck and the blazer put the ones off the truck on the blazer bolt when you do use case harden grade eight bolts whashers both sides and use grade eight lock nuts and and lots of red lock tight

AJMBLAZER

If you are handy with a welder and torch or know someone who is it's far easier to just cut the spring perches off and have new ones welded on in the 3/4 ton and down place.

tourdog

dont weld bolt them on it is alot safer then welding been moving axles on trucks for years bolting is a little more$$ but is the peferd way welding will weaken the frame in that area and the hanger thats is why the fatory rivets them on use grade eight bolt and whashers and lock nuts and locktight !!!!welding is alright off road but not onroad alittle more work will have to drill a few holes but not a big deal .i have done sevral wth no issues with bolts .afew with 3/8 and two with7/16 so do as you will but pro shops would bolt

AJMBLAZER

No no no. Cut the perches off of the axle and weld new ones onto the axle.

In all my years with these trucks I've never seen someone purposely go to the 1 ton spring hangars on the frame, even when swapping in a 14FF or Dana 70 from a 1 ton. Everyone just moves the perches on the axle, far easier.

dependable

I added helper spring perches to a 1008 that I converted to duel wheel.. I am a fair enough welder, but I chose to drill and bolt them on with 3/8ths US made grade 8 bolts. That was 7 or 8 years ago and I still work this truck regularly with dump body. no problems.

CCATLETT1984

FYI swapping gears in the m1008 axles is EXPENSIVE!!!!

You have to get new carriers for the gears for both axles to go to a taller (numberically lower) gear set. the detroit locker in the rear is ~$500 and the front open carrier (if youc an find one) is ~$400, plus gears, plus the install kits. in total look to spend ~$1500-2000 re-gearing.

1-tonmudder

You cant put 3:08's in a M1008 axle(Dana 60) because the housing does not have enuf offset to accomadate the bigger pinion.You would have to get a Dodge Dana 61 front from a 88-90ish Cummins truck.They are slightly wider (about an inch on the pass side IIRC) so it wouldnt be a direct bolt in.

A local guy was lookin for some 3:08's for a 14 bolt and was havin a hard time findin them,dont know if he ever found a set.

If would be a lot easier/maybe cheaper to go with some sort of O/D unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks