• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 Tranny Trouble

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looking through past threads and the TMs and can't seem to find reference to my problem. My transmission will not shift PERIOD. I checked all the vacuum items and only found 1 that I had to replace but still no shift.

I just got this 1009 and had to replace the transfer case after customization by GL or DRMO. The new transfer case will shift into all positions and the vehicle drives down the road but won't shift.

Any suggestions other than a rebuild or replacement?

jag7720

Maybe the TRANSMISSION GOVERNOR look at TM 34P page 181 to see what and where it is.

Inside that is a rod that should slide back and forth... could be that. Dod you have a local transmission parts supply house? If that is it, those are $30-$40.

The guy at my supply house said you could take that out and free up that rod then put it back...

Also, have you checked the fluid level and/or changed the fluid and filter. Most guys suggest that as a "first thing". Remember, there are 23+ years old and did a lot of sitting.

But ask around some more.

Westech

CPL
mine did the same thing.. I replaced the gov and no workie... what happened is there is a little screen in the valve body that filters the fluid to the gov.. it was clogged up. so take the valve body out.. take it all apart and clean it

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, here's where the stupid questions start.

I pulled the gov out and the teeth on the gear are nice and sharp. Now what is it supposed to do? The only moving part I can find on it are the 2 flaps at the end. The gear doesn't move and nothing in the body moves. I am a total transmission virgin so be gentle.

Okay, figured out what the governor does and everything seems to be working the way it should. Both flaps move with the inner ones having more resistance so now it's down to taking more of it apart.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have first and reverse then there is a good chance the trans is ok. Make sure you have 24-25 inches of vacuume at the pump, next check the line from the pump to the switch on the IP, check the position of the IP mounted switch, start with it fully counter clockwise, this will give it maximum shift speed, next check the line from the switch to the metal line. Next check the modulator and make sure the plunger in behind it is moving freely. Also check the short rubber line connecting the modulator to the steel line. My own experience with CUCV's no shift or poor shifting has always been the vacuume lines, pump, or switch.

motormayhem

When mine wouldn't shift I was able to force it to shift when I got to a little above a shift rpm and then shifted from D to 2 and back to D. If it shifts then at least you know it can shift. I am not sure what this does other than bring up the line pressure, but it may work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks