• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

101A3 wiring adapter question

Mike O.

I am in possession of two things.

1. 7 pin RV wiring harness which plugs into my civi pickup. Basically a connector with 6' of wires/leads which are color coded.

2. 6 foot 12 pin military trailer extension.

HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360291165698&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Hopefully, sometime within the next millenium I will get my EUC for the M101A3 I won and will be able to go pick it up. I want to make an adapter.

So that I know which side of my extension to use, does the existing trailer plug have male pins or female receptacles?

Thanks,
Mike O.

Last edited:

blybrook

The trailer has male pins. You want to use the female sockets for your cord. Or you can take a small soldering gun and rewire the trailer plug directly to your 7 pin in about 10 minutes or less & not have to deal with the adapter cord.

majorhitt

One thing to remember is that the part that has the electricity waiting to be used is the female end. You don't want exposed live parts. Is your trailer relamped to 12v bulbs? Take a military trailer receptacle with leads that would be about 6 in. long, pick up a trailer plug( from Napa or some other auto supply store) that will plug into your pickup. Match the wire leads for the correct lighting, solder and use heat shrink tubing to cover the splice, mount your newly wired receptacle near the civi receptacle and plug it in. Then plug your trailer cord into the military receptacle mounted on you civi pickup and your ready to go. (that is if you replaced the 24v bulbs with 12v bulbs in the trailer. I hope this helps. I'm going to look up the wiring on the military trailer receptacle for future reference. I may do this some day.

Last edited:

majorhitt

If you're looking into the dump option then use the thread previously mentioned. If you want to plug your military trailer into your civi pickup truck, I wouldn't use that thread. You have good packard electrical fittings why not use them? That thread shows after market wires plugged into the packard electrical fittings. If you plan on using that system, you no longer have weather proof connections. Even if you coat them with electrical grease, the orientation of the fittings will allow water an debris to collect in the fitting. Again if this system is what you want or have to do, then pick up some heat shrink tubing and completely cover the connection. No don't use electrical tape. It won't last in that location Remember it is very important to have good dry electrical connections.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks