• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 starter bolt question ( kinda)

Ronbo

Has anyone or is it possible to stud the starter? ( starter to the engine block) Would this be a good idea? I need to get mine rebuilt and was just wondering about studs . If so does anyone make them ( ARP)?
Maybe this spring/summer I'll get my Civi truck sold and put a gas engine in the 1028..I guess I'll wait until them to ask advise about lift kits , gear changes and engine swaps... Thanks for any help . Appreciated:)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UH, I'm a little confused. WHY would you want to put studs in place of the correct start bolts? The correct bolts are less than $10 per and when properly installed - you do have a torque wrench, right - you SHOULD NOT need to do anything else. Having said all that I keep a spare pair in each of my trucks. Nothing worse than losing a bolt and then NOT be able to get the truck started because the starter flexs and can't apply enough torque to spin the engine quick enough for it to start.

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but if you broke a properly installed STUD in place of that bolt you will almost have to remove the engine to get it out. At the very least you WILL have to remove the drive shaft (front) and if that doesn't give you access you may have to drop the tranmission.

Ronbo

Thanks for the reply! Maybe my thinking is wrong ( usually is) But My thoughts were , If I stud the Block for the starter , with some extra super duty studs then I shouldnt ever have to worry about starter bolts again. Or bolt problems in general.. I do appreciate any advise.. Thanks

Atwater

on my brothers truck we had a starter bolt brake off about 3/4 down in the hole. since we could not get the piece out we tapped the hole to the next size up and use some threaded rod and a grade 8 bolt in the other hole. after fighting broken bolts for some time we were pleasantly surprised that this fix held up for the rest of the time we had the truck.
most of all i would recommend periodically checking the bolts:beer:

DokWatson

UH, I'm a little confused. WHY would you want to put studs in place of the correct start bolts? The correct bolts are less than $10 per and when properly installed - you do have a torque wrench, right - you SHOULD NOT need to do anything else. Having said all that I keep a spare pair in each of my trucks. Nothing worse than losing a bolt and then NOT be able to get the truck started because the starter flexs and can't apply enough torque to spin the engine quick enough for it to start.

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but if you broke a properly installed STUD in place of that bolt you will almost have to remove the engine to get it out. At the very least you WILL have to remove the drive shaft (front) and if that doesn't give you access you may have to drop the tranmission.
Um... Ok, done spreading the BS around? A stud would be just as much work as a bolt broken off flush. I don't know if you've ever looked at a stud, its basically a bolt with threads on both ends, in opposite directions. You put a nut and lockwasher on the end you can see, when you want to take the stud out or put it in, you put two nuts on the end and turn it out or in like a bolt. Not very complicated.

Personally I would just stick with starter bolts, but theres no reason why studs wouldn't work using the same thread count and grade 8 hardware.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks