• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028A3 Axle Gear Ratio?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried a search, no joy. Alfa's 1028A3 says it has 3.73's is this the military ratio?, or were they changed? The vehicle specs section here states the 1028A1 has 4.56......

CCATLETT1984

RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

if they did change the gears, be cautious.

To change the gears involves swapping out both carriers in the axles (since 3.73 uses a different carrier than 4.56) and i doubt they spent the extra money on a new detroit locker for the rear or the track-lok for the front.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

I'm not looking to buy their truck, just curious what the 1028A3 I got in Salt Lake City has in it. ;)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

CCATLETT1984 said:
if they did change the gears, be cautious.

To change the gears involves swapping out both carriers in the axles (since 3.73 uses a different carrier than 4.56) and i doubt they spent the extra money on a new detroit locker for the rear or the track-lok for the front.
I with you on that....

Going to get mine from Utah this Sunday/Monday

2deuce

RE: Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

Those lockers in the rear want to lock on every tight turn and will wear out your tires in a hurry with on road use. At least the 2 M1008's I have do. With duels in the back and the posi in the front, off road towing and hauling should be supreme. Your truck was a forest service truck up in Wyoming. If you plan to pick it up on sunday there is a towing company close by that will take it and store it for a weekend pickup and they were reasonable. I can't remember the name exactly but I should have it here somewhere if you want it. That's what I was going to do.
Good Luck,
Greg

2deuce

I forgot to add that I read somewhere, I believe on this site, that some A3's might have had 4.88 gears. Are you sure its an A3 and not an A2. The NSN# would tell, but I didn't keep it.

Greg

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I just remember the pickups were really geared low because I was used to driving and riding in the M1009's. The trucks would slow down on a hill if you took your foot off of the throttle the M1009's would just keep rolling. Will my M1031 have lockers rear and limit slip up front?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

2deuce said:
Those lockers in the rear want to lock on every tight turn and will wear out your tires in a hurry with on road use. At least the 2 M1008's I have do. With duels in the back and the posi in the front, off road towing and hauling should be supreme. Your truck was a forest service truck up in Wyoming. If you plan to pick it up on sunday there is a towing company close by that will take it and store it for a weekend pickup and they were reasonable. I can't remember the name exactly but I should have it here somewhere if you want it. That's what I was going to do.
Good Luck,
Greg
Greg, Where/how were you able to get the history on the truck? Did GSA provide it?

I'm planning on recovering it next Monday, driving up Sunday...but, just in case, if you can find that number I'd appreciate it!

Ed

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

4.56's and I know Westech likes the guy but with my Alfa truck as my guide and others' stories on here I'd doubt Tom's word. He's a liar and it has been proven before. Just like the "new rockers" on mine and the bondo where there shouldn't be I'd bet money that truck still has 4.56 gears and he's just claiming it has 3.73 gears to make it sound more road friendly.

Just like his ads for the 1008's said dual Dana 60's and when confronted on his he simply said, "most people don't know what a GM 14 bolt is" I'd bet there's more to this story.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

AJMBLAZER said:
4.56's and I know Westech likes the guy but with my Alfa truck as my guide and others' stories on here I'd doubt Tom's word. He's a liar and it has been proven before. Just like the "new rockers" on mine and the bondo where there shouldn't be I'd bet money that truck still has 4.56 gears and he's just claiming it has 3.73 gears to make it sound more road friendly.

Just like his ads for the 1008's said dual Dana 60's and when confronted on his he simply said, "most people don't know what a GM 14 bolt is" I'd bet there's more to this story.
I was trying to stay away from any comment regarding Alfa, Thanks to all for all the info regarding my question.

Mods, I believe I have the info I need....

2deuce

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 1028A3 Axle Ratio?

The towing company was something like Stauffers Towing, the # in my cell is 801-544-8666. GSA gave me all the info for the towing and history. If you ask they may be more specific with the trucks history. They gave me 2 towing companys to call. The price to tow and store was under $80 which I thought was good and didn't call the second company they gave me.
Good luck,
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks