• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1031 on front of motor just above the IP?

rsh4364

On a 1031 what is that apparatus on front of motor just above the IP? Im sure its something to do with the charging system ,but what does it do?

Last edited by a moderator:

cucvrus

It adjusts the engine RPM's as the amount of electric is used for the generator that is mounted in the body. I had a couple of them. I never had any use for one of the contact maintenance trucks and sold them. They are cool to have if you do a lot of work outside away from the shop. They were always worth more then I paid for them and very desirable to many people. I sold everyone I had very quickly.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. The device is a servo driven by a troublesome controller in the rear cabinet. It keeps the 6.2 running at a constant speed regardless of load on the generator. Search "SECM" here for lots of info on these and a replacement controller offered by a member here.

mynewtoy

rsh4364
Is there any chance you could measure yours. They should be close to the same. All I need is the weld to weld measurement of the front shaft?
Thanks

TexAndy

Yes. The device is a servo driven by a troublesome controller in the rear cabinet. It keeps the 6.2 running at a constant speed regardless of load on the generator. Search "SECM" here for lots of info on these and a replacement controller offered by a member here.

Toss the controller and build something custom out of an arduino board.

That way, you could use it not just for adjusting speed from load on generator, but also for cruise control running down the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks