• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

105 bed mounting on bobbed deuce

HanksDeuce

Take a look at posts #61 and #66 in my thread about my deuce. I show the measurements of where I put my M105A2 bed, and how many bolts I used. Keep in mind I spaced my bed ~11 inches away from the back of the cab to leave room for jerry can mounts, dual stack exhausts, and the possibility of a roll cage. But, the measurements for cutting the frame to use the bumperettes is the same. I did not use spring bolts on the front of my bed. Instead, I used a total of six 1/2" Grade 8 bolts that go through the bottom of the bed, into a bottom rib, into the oak board, and into the top of the frame.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ift-Bobbed-External-Cage-A-C-and-more-Project!

welldigger

On a truck me and a buddy are currently bobbing we just extended the 105 mounting brackets with a piece of plate steel. Then we are just gonna drill 2 new holes in the plate and chassis and bolt them together. The 105 mounting brackets are the exact width of the deuce frame. The way we figured it this would give us exact bed alignment. Also it would be very secure.

ccf460

I am using the original oak board between the bed and frame. I was thinking it would help with abrasion and noise.
The issue ( I think) with using the side bolting method ,is that it does not "load" the oak boards, but does side load the
bolts.The trailer probably has less flex and torsion than a truck. I was kind of thinking about a spring loaded setup,like
the original bed bolts. BUT, wanted to see what other (probably better) ideas were out there.

welldigger

We are using the boards also. Hence the need to extend the brackets. If your using grade 8 hardware like we are then your not in much risk of breaking them. There are 6 mounting tabs. 2 large grade 8 bolts each. That beds not going anywhere. Plus when you load the bed it pushes the bed down onto the chassis. This adds more stability. The brackets eliminate almost all side to side movement. And the shorter chassis of a bobber will not flex nearly as much as a full size deuce frame.

welldigger

Another thing to keep in mind is the 105 trailer will hold as much or more weight than a bobber depending on what rear suspension set up you use. If the 105 mounting setup can hold that weight it will be just fine mounted to the truck that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks