• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1097A2 Transmission Issues - works intermittent

frankalonso2012

Hi all, my 99' 1097a2 is giving me issues with transmission all of the sudden. It was working fine! Last week after having it parked for a few days went to use it and the transmission wasn't engaging. After checking fluid and everything I could check pressed the red breaker behind battery box and seem.to work again. Then it tripped it again and pressed it and worked so on. I checked oil, install a new relay, tried with a other breaker. Anyone has experienced this intermittent issue? Don't know where else to check. There are no codes with I do the A-G test at the tcm
.please help

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if the breaker is tripped, the vehicle should still move in 2nd gear and reverse in limp mode.

How long did it work again after resetting the breaker? Did it work until shut off, or did it stop working while you were operating the vehicle?

These are supposed to go into limp mode when there is no power to the TCM, so the fact that the breaker is tripping and it won't move at all leads me to suspect something electrical inside the transmission being the culprit, but I don't have enough experiences with these to tell you what you'd be looking for.

frankalonso2012

Even if the breaker is tripped, the vehicle should still move in 2nd gear and reverse in limp mode.

How long did it work again after resetting the breaker? Did it work until shut off, or did it stop working while you were operating the vehicle?

These are supposed to go into limp mode when there is no power to the TCM, so the fact that the breaker is tripping and it won't move at all leads me to suspect something electrical inside the transmission being the culprit, but I don't have enough experiences with these to tell you what you'd be looking for.

Thanks for your inputs,

How long did it work again after resetting the breaker? It worked for a Block or 2 then it gets into neutral ( no gear truck won't move when accelerate)

Did it work until shut off, or did it stop working while you were operating the vehicle? Yes.

I thought about Replacing the harness Inside the transmission as my last resource before looking for a transmission to replace.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is A and E for diag.
Sounds like you have a short, probably in the harness, you need to follow the trans harnesses from beginning to end to see if it is being pinched or otherwise compromised.
Nothing inside the transmission would likely be able to trip the breaker as all that wiring carries is signals to and from the TCM.

But as frankalonso2012 said with no power, as in you can disconnect all the wiring it will drive in 2nd and reverse, if it acts like it is in neutral then there are mechanical issues inside the transmission.

I have actually seen a transmission that would "pull" with the TCM working and not when the TCM was disconnected, that transmission had a failed 2nd gear, with the TCM working it of course would try to start out in 1st.

You need to drop the pan and pay close attention to the sediment inside the pan, take several pictures before cleaning the pan.

frankalonso2012

It is A and E for diag.
Sounds like you have a short, probably in the harness, you need to follow the trans harnesses from beginning to end to see if it is being pinched or otherwise compromised.
Nothing inside the transmission would likely be able to trip the breaker as all that wiring carries is signals to and from the TCM.

But as frankalonso2012 said with no power, as in you can disconnect all the wiring it will drive in 2nd and reverse, if it acts like it is in neutral then there are mechanical issues inside the transmission.

I have actually seen a transmission that would "pull" with the TCM working and not when the TCM was disconnected, that transmission had a failed 2nd gear, with the TCM working it of course would try to start out in 1st.

You need to drop the pan and pay close attention to the sediment inside the pan, take several pictures before cleaning the pan.
Should the humvee move if I disconnect the tcm? I just disconnect the plug with the batteries umplug and it did reverse and then got into neutral again no gear. At this point seems like a mechanical issue or internally issue.

Should I jump the breaker to try or that's a no no!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should the humvee move if I disconnect the tcm? I just disconnect the plug with the batteries umplug and it did reverse and then got into neutral again no gear. At this point seems like a mechanical issue or internally issue.

Should I jump the breaker to try or that's a no no!
If you disconnect the TCM and it does not move then it has mechanical issues inside the transmission, sorry :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks