• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10KW (MEP-003a) Generator Help

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi again folks,

Yesterday afternoon, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to look into the control box assembly (the one on the side beside the fuel tank) on my second generator. Much to my dismay :cry: , Inside I discovered a few problems, I was hoping I could get some help and advice on it. I was really hoping to just replace the blower wheel and rotor and fire it up, but it's not going to be that easy. aua

General wiring issues include loose connections on the rotary switch for single phase and three phase selection, TB 8 was removed and laying inside the box as well as the bridge rectifier board.

The general wiring issues aren't that much concern to me, but on the bridge board the resistor is totally fried. I mean, it got so hot that it warped the fiberglass board and darkened the back of the board. The heat and/or fire associated with this problem also charred the closest lug on the three phase breaker in the box as well.

My question is this. If it was a loose connection on the breaker that moved over and touched the bridge board resistor that may well be the only problem. But I'm concerned that something in the generator caused the resistor to burn up and in turn charred the breaker lug. Has anybody had any experience with such a situation? is there any way the field and field diodes of the generator head could have gone bad and caused this problem. I guess I'm looking for any ideas of what could cause such a problem.

Repairing the board and testing it is easy enough. The breaker will need replaced, but luckily I just won a parts machine and the pictures show a breaker still installed and hopefully it will have a good bridge board as well.

After I replace the parts though and get ready to fire it up, I just want to be sure I've checked every thing out that I can to make sure the problem doesn't occur again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Avn-Tech

Speddom,

Have you been to Smokstak.com. It is a bulletin board like SS, but they have people who specialize in MEP generators.

I should be able to help you, as an Air Guard Power Pro (Generator Mech). But I just went through the school last summer, and have not had any actual time working on generators. I have an old generator to work on when I get time, and would like to win a GL sale on a more modern gen set.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Avn-Tech said:
Have you been to Smokstak.com. It is a bulletin board like SS, but they have people who specialize in MEP generators.
I've looked around on there in the past but never registered until today. I'll post a similar question over there and see if I get any good suggestions.

steelandcanvas said:
I am thinking the lug on the breaker was loose, and caused significant heat to do the other damage. Replace the breaker and resistor and I think you'll be fine.
I certainly hope you're right.

dougreig

MEP-003A wiring issue

I purchased a Mep-003A from an auction. I bought the genertor "sight unseen". The generator came with the wires that come out of the generator motor were cut and removed. I have purchased a new wiring harness for the generator. But, I can not read the numbers on the 10 short wires coming out of the generator motor. Would anyone know if the wires coming out of the gen motor that are placed in the rubber isolator in a standard sequence? If so, I would like to know how to find out the sequence is layed out in the rubber isolator. I have attached a picture of my cut wires. Can anyone help with that? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Isaac-1

Wow 2 new people from my general part of the state in one day reviving old threads. If these are the main lead outputs it is somewhat possible to determine the ends of the pairs through resistance measurement, although it is a complicated set of comparisons.

Ike

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a Mep-003A from an auction. I bought the genertor "sight unseen". The generator came with the wires that come out of the generator motor were cut and removed. I have purchased a new wiring harness for the generator. But, I can not read the numbers on the 10 short wires coming out of the generator motor. Would anyone know if the wires coming out of the gen motor that are placed in the rubber isolator in a standard sequence? If so, I would like to know how to find out the sequence is layed out in the rubber isolator. I have attached a picture of my cut wires. Can anyone help with that? Thanks in advance.
There should be 12 large wires and a pair of small wires coming out of your generator head

derf

There should be 12 stator wires and 2 field wires, I think.
T1 thru T12 for the stator and F1, F2 for the field.
However, that was probably cut because something in the head is bad.
Before you get too far test windings. You'll probably find at least one shorted. See pic, taken from TM.

Attachments

derf

Download the TMs and they're pretty good for troubleshooting. There is a guy in Kaplan with some 003 parts, unless the guy is you (did you sell me a Gillette gen head?).

dougreig

No I'm not the guy. But if I cant get it running, I might be the new guy!! lol. would you know how I can get a hold of the Kaplan guy. If I could see a wiring sequence of how it comes out of the shroud, I might be able to figure it out. I have two units!!! in the same condition. one with 350 hours, the other 400+/_. Where are you located? Im in Lafayette

Isaac-1

Libby Welding was just the contractor (wholy owned subsidiary of Onan set up to build generators for the military) for that production lot, there were 3 or 4 different ones that had the contract over the years including Onan, Hollingsworth, etc, but they all used the same parts (some parts may be different revisions though and look different)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks