• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1100 Mile Recovery/First Deuce

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I will be leaving in a couple days (April 27th) from Montana to pick up my first deuce (bobbed) from Hundy in SoCal. The plan is to spend a day in Vegas on the way down and pick it up Thursday and head for home. The trip will be about 1100 miles to get hiome. A buddy of mine is riding along with me and we are driving down as well, so will have a "pilot" car too. I am planning on taking a lot of pictures on the trip back. This will be my first time in Vegas, and California, and my first deuce. Poking around on the forums I know how you guys like pictures so I'll be sure to post them as I get them. My phone has internet and a camera so I should be able to post daily pictures. Some SS members have already extended offers to me to help out, meet up and so on. This is a pretty nice place you guys have here and look forward to talking with more of you. I do have a picture of the truck I'll be picking up, so here ya go.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Your A$$ is gonna be sore.
Man, to many weaklings on here! Maybe it was 11yrs to many in the Army but these statements are old! Shhh! Or maybe to many civiys are living to cushy of a life! I guess a deuce doesnt ride as good as a leather equiped Chevy, never was much of a chevy guy:grd:

Nice bobber! You going to play in the desert any on your way back?:mrgreen:

mikeroot2

Man, to many weaklings on here! Maybe it was 11yrs to many in the Army but these statements are old! Shhh! Or maybe to many civiys are living to cushy of a life! I guess a deuce doesnt ride as good as a leather equiped Chevy:mrgreen:
I spend my week driving a Freightliner business class FL50 around between job sites not a leather seated Chevy, not much more padding than the deuce. Maybe I spend too much time working and don't spend enough time on my A$$ so it's not as tough as yours:wink:

I love driving my deuce, but I'm not naive enough to think that my butt wouldn't be sore after an 1100 mile trip in it.

Civiy out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bobbed4x4. Good luck on your trip home. Don't let the naysayers get to you. I've done 700 miles in one day in a deuce tractor with an M35 piggybacked on the 5th wheel. While it may not be the most comfortable truck in the world, it's doable!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is that deuce doing to that M818? Is it making HMMWVs?
Hehe, it's not an 818! M275A2. Mini tractor! Hundy, loading has always been done with a crane, wrecker excavator etc. Unloading is a different thing. I've stacked blocks behind the tractor tires and backed it off and have done the same with heavy ramps. Loading is the only problem, need to have equipment at each end. On the road it works very good! The pics were from a 2568 mile round trip from S Fla to OH and back. Whew, still remember that one!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/1984-my-2003-deuce-road-trip.html

markmontana

Recovery update- bobbed4x4 & wingman rolled into Mesquite last night about 7:30 or so. Truck looks great and running fine. I really like those tires...

We put them up in the enlisted quarters- and after a quick PT and inspection, we'll get them back on the road. Good troops.

markmontana

700 miles to go. Very nice truck and running great. We all jumped in and went thru the truck this AM. She's tight and running well. Did a 'sprag check' on a dirt test pile- sprag is working fine. And I want that power steering.

You meet the nicest people in a deuce... Neal & Jerry- good luck on your way home.

Attachments

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Sitting at a hotel just north of Salt Lake City. Didn't get out of Mesquite untill 2:00 or so, but still made 350 miles today.... roughly 350-400 left to go, should be an easy day tomorrow. Let my co-pilot get some seat time today, and he was lovin' it too! Getting thumbs up from truckers and gaping mouths from others as they pass by. Been averaging around 65 MPH, only slowing down for the steeper hills, had it at 75 for a very brief sprint while passing a truck today too. So much fun! Had a lot of fun in Mesquite.. "Markmontana" helped me out a lot, this world needs more people like him. Drove the deuce through Las Vegas on the way back to get a picture at the sign, driving by the big building while running through the gears was a sound to hear :grin:

Attachments

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I'M HOME!!!
Pulled into town early last night. Girlfriend wouldn't let me get on the computer last night, so I'm a day late posting :wink:
At any rate, the trip went well, 1060 miles without missing a beat. I ran into rain in Salt Lake City and had to spend one morning tracking down better wiper blades. Thanks to 73X and this post for the wipers http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/46120-civy-wipers.html . After solving that issue, it was back on the road. It rained on and off from Salt Lake into Idaho where the rain turned to snow. I only had to pull over once to remove the excess build up of snow. New wiper worked good, even though I had to manually activate it.
From the desert of California to the snow covered mountains of Montana, this was a fun road trip over-all, and would definately do it again. I got to see a lot of country, Vegas, and meet some of the nicest people ever. From Mark at 110DollarMan, to Dave and his wife, they are the type of people others should strive to be.
Here's some general pictures of going down the road, and one of me at the Montana state border.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks