• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 V starter motor for 3K Generator

bob130ab

Has anyone had a 24 V starter rewired/rebuilt to operate with a 12 v battery?
Is there an automotive or industrial 12 v starter that will bolt up on these Gen Sets?

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GA

m139h2otruck

There are a number of sites on the Internet dealing with these little engines used in ultra-lite aircraft. I read on one, that there is a Mazda starter that with a little work will fit this engine.

I used the 24 volt unit and just jump it off a truck if it's home or two batteries in series. Doesn't take much to spin these engines. Or buy a 24 volt single battery like the ones used on the 5 kw gen sets.

You may be able to have some auto electric supply/re-builder re wire the 24 volt unit to work on 12 volts. There is a seller on E-bay that sells the starters for ablut $75-80, but they are listed under the 5 and 10 kw gen sets. Same starter, just need to "re-clock" the nose.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model 3K generator are you talking about?

bob130ab

12 V starter motor for 3K generator

Thanks Guys
I'll check into this when I have some extra time.
I'm leaving Wednesday for Houston, TX to visit my son, former co-workers & former Air Force Reserve members that I served with. I'll be gone a couple of weeks.

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GA

ida34

If the genset was set up to charge the battery then you would need to charge the battery with a battery charger. The 24 volt battery for them is the 4hn. It is the size of a 51 group battery but has 12 cells for 24 volts. I got a couple dry off ebay for my gensets. If you already had a 24 volt starter then this might be a cheaper route.