• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt conv.

bear76

In my copy of 12 volt conversions of a CUCV (Roscommon Equip. center) it states "Commercial (non-isolated ground) alternator can be used for replacement. Just remove ground wire from system". Dose it mean remove the ground from the alt to the block or somthing else?
Also, I am buying a new alt (one alt system), which Chevy alt would work the best?

Thank you.

mangus580

Do you have one good alt from your CUCV? If so, dont bother buying a new one.

I am curious though, why convert it? Is your starter good? If so, have your alts rebuilt if needed... and put it back to stock. I saw your mention of a bad Glow Plug solenoid in your other post, but that is only 12v anyway ;-)

bear76

I have one alt. I don't know if it works yet, it was in the back seat. The glow plug resistor is missing (I may have mistated that in my previous post). I looked at prices of a new (second) alt, $215, and figured it would be about the same money to convert. Starter +/- $100, new chevy alt $80, some new wires $20. Then I could use over the counter starers and alt's. I have no problem with running the 12/24 system if it was already working, but if I have to spend the money I figured 12v would be least expensive.

bear76

OK. I think I got it now. The alts are the same but where they are grounded is differnt, right? Either one can be grounded to the block for the 12volt system.

mangus580

Correct. So you only currently have one alternator?

BTW, if your current one is good, you can buy a standard alternaotr as well, and still keep your 24v setup.

bear76

Yes, only one alt.
How would I do that, I thought you had to have a floating ground alt? If thats the case, I'll hit the junk yard and look for a good one there.

Thanks

dilvoy

Bear76, The #2 Alt (passenger side) is the one that really needs to have an isolated ground for the 24 volt system, but for parts commonality GM used the same alt for both sides.

bear76

So the drivers side could be any GM alt (that fits). The passnger side HAS to be isolated ground?

bassplayer88

I rewired the whole electrical system on my m1009 converted to a WVO genset in progress. You can rewire to x2 isolated 12v systems , and ditch the 24v starter & convert to 12v starter. This also allows you to remove the 24v to 12v step down resistors for the glow plugs . Both alts can also be rebuilt to be 200amps .. Unless your wanting to keep the m1009 in tack for historical reasons, ditch the 24v ..