• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt conversion charging issue

80sturgisrider

OK...I am SURE there is allot of talk about converting to 12 volt, vice the 24 volt. I recently came into possession of an M1008. I was told it ran, but had not heard it run, because there was no starter. The cheaper route for me was to purchase a 12 volt gear reduction starter, then convert the truck to 12 volts. I had done these conversions before, however, now I have run into a problem. I have always used this method http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf, however, on page 4, it is explained to use the ground wire from the driver side alternator on the ground post of the passenger side alternator---here is the problem: that "ground" post is HOT, not a ground. Obviously, connecting a wire to that "ground" post, then to the engine creates a HUGE short. So...what have I done wrong? I have gotten rid of the resistor, the push button glow plug system works flawlessly, the truck starts right up. I have followed every instruction to the "t" (except installing that ground wire that is actually hot) in the link and I still do not charge the batteries. Thots please?